Wheatgrass shot recipe – Learn how to make wheatgrass shots at home and experience the immense health benefits. Wheatgrass, the young shoots of the whole wheat grain or berries are gaining popularity as the new super food. The health benefits of consuming wheatgrass regularly are numerous and is said to keep many health issues at bay. Like most other plants, wheatgrass too contains high chlorophyll, enzymes, amino acids, minerals and vitamins that nourishes, detoxifies and alkalizes the body.
The easiest form of consuming wheat grass is by juicing it along with fruits of your choice. The second way is to make shots which is best for effective results. Shots are prepared by pressing or juicing the wheat grass alone. While fruit wheat grass juice can be consumed any time of the day, wheatgrass shots are best consumed on a empty stomach.
In the past I had shared Fruit wheatgrass juice recipe which is consumed by me and the husband at least 2 to 3 times in a week. After discovering the overall health benefits, we decided to move to shots. We have been consuming the shots for a couple of months and thought of sharing the details here.
Wheatgrass shots can be anywhere in between 2 to 4 ounces (60 to 120 ml) which is been pressed or juiced without the addition of any other ingredient like water or juice. So it has to be pure 100% wheat grass juice for maximum health benefits.
When taken on an empty stomach, the nutrients are better absorbed with in few minutes and the detoxification is best as well. I have made this in a slower juicer so the oxidation is minimum, hence a bright color. It may be different if made in a blender.
Fresh wheatgrass is available in supermarkets and local organic farms. The live plants are available in pots which can be used as and when needed.
How to make wheatgrass shot at home
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams Wheatgrass as needed (preferably organic).
- Hand pestle or a blender or a slow juicer or any other kind of juicer
Preparation for wheatgrass shot
- Wash wheatgrass thoroughly under running water. Use fresh and green grass that is young and tender. Discard the yellow grass. Drain completely.
- Add them to whatever equipment you want to use.
Wheatgrass shot in slow juicer
- Blend completely as much as possible. If making in juicer it gets jammed after making 90 to 120 ml. You will have to remove the pulp manually and continue to juice.
Wheatgrass shot using mortar & hand pestle
- If making in a hand pestle, you will have to make a complete smooth paste. Then add it to a cheese cloth and extract the juice.
Wheatgrass shot in blender
- If making in a blender too, you will have to add to a cheese cloth. Extract the juice.
- Consume 60 to 120 ml immediately after juicing. Within few minutes wheatgrass juice begins to get oxidized and the nutritional values begin to diminish.
2. Always use organic wheatgrass to avoid contamination.
3. Some of the side effects you may notice – Itchy throat, rashes, allergy, sinus, cold with in few hours of consuming. These symptoms are more likely in folks who have grass or pollen allergies and may last for 5 to 7 days. So if you are allergic to grass, refrain from trying this. Nutrition values are approximations only
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes