Refreshing pear juice is the ultimate summer beverage! Loaded with Vitamins, minerals and fiber, this low calorie homemade fresh pear juice is the easiest you make this summer! A great thirst quencher that keeps you cool all day long! Pears are a super delicious, crunchy and juicy fruit that are cultivated in cool temperate climates. They are enjoyed in so many ways – raw, cooked, steamed & juiced depending on the variety.
When you want to eat and drink healthy, homemade fresh foods are the way to go. This homemade pear juice is so much better in taste and flavour than the store bought bottled juices. Plus it’s pure with no additives and fillers.
About Pear Juice
Did you know that pear juice is one of the best drink to beat sun stroke & dehydration? Though not all pears work the same way, most of them work great in hydrating the body.
Pears are also well known for reducing bad cholesterol levels and stomach problems like acidity, ulcers and constipation. These are often recommended to people who have an imbalance of HDL: LDL ratio. This wonderful refreshing fruit is one of the low calorie fruits & is great even for weight watchers.
In this post I share the recipe to make pear juice in a blender and a slow juicer.
According to Wikipedia, more than 3000 varieties of pears are grown across the world, with varying shapes, taste & nutritional values. Some being pulpy, mealy and some extremely juicy.
So choose the right variety for juicing. All pears are not the same and some don’t work well to juice as they are the pulpy kind.
Asian pears are the best for juicing as they are juicy and not pulpy. The juice from the Asian pears is very refreshing & delicious, something similar to the fresh sugarcane juice & cannot be compared with any other varieties.
However since they are not available everywhere I have also shown how to make the juice using green pears. So use whatever is available to you following my instructions.
We make different kinds of fresh fruit juices & smoothies every evening since it is hard to get everyone at home to eat 2 servings of fruits daily. This pears juice is one that is made often.
It does not need any sweetener if you use a slow juicer. Sometimes we add oranges, strawberries or a piece of beetroot to this. The flavor of pear is very mild & not dominating, so they pair up very well with any fruit.
How To Make Pear Juice (Stepwise Photos)
1. Rinse 2 pears under running water and pat dry.
2. Peel them.
3. Chop and discard the crown and the bottom part.
4. Halve the pears.
5. Then quarter them.
6. Gently hold each quarter and remove the core including the seeds.
7. Same way deseed and remove the core of all the quarters.
8. Add them to a blender jar along with 2 cups chilled water. If you want chilled juice, you can add ice cubes. For every pear add 1 cup water. If you want you can add half inch ginger, lemon juice from half lemon or sweetener like sugar or honey.
9. Blend until smooth. If it is to thick you may add more water.
10. If have used ginger, strain it to a pitcher. You can skip if you have not used ginger
11. Run the spoon across the strainer to pass the pear juice. You will have nothing in the strainer, except for the fiber in ginger.
12. This is the consistency you will get. Hurry up and drink it because it begins to oxidize and discolor.
Fresh homemade pear juice is ready.
How To Make Pear Juice In Juicer
I have used Asian pears here. Peel and cut the pears to quarters and add them to the juicer chute. Though a lot of juicers come with big enough chutes to add the whole fruit. We prefer to quarter and check first.
I always use ginger for these Asian pears as they are super cooling for the body. Ginger provides warmth to the body and there by balance the cooling properties of pears.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
For Blender Juice
- 2 pears (medium size)
- 2 cups chilled water or any liquid
- ½ lemon
- ½ inch ginger (Peeled, optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sweetener (optional)
For Slow Juicer
- 400 grams pears (or large)
- 2 to 3 oranges or ¼ of a beetroot (peeled and chopped)
- ½ lemon
- ½ inch ginger (peeled)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds or sabja seeds (soaked in water for 1 hour)
- Wash pears very well under running water. Pat dry. If not using organic then peel the skin and cut them to quarters and remove the core.
- To keep the skin – Organic pears can be used with skin on. You can scrub them well with some vinegar and salt. Leaves for 5 mins. Rinse well under running water.
Pear Juice In Blender
- Add the deseeded and quartered pears to a blender. Pour 2 cups chilled water. You may add ginger, lemon juice and sweetener if you want
- Blend until smooth. You can optionally strain to remove the ginger fibers. If it is too thick you may add more water.
- Pour pear juice to serving glasses and consume immediately, You can optionally add ice cubes if you prefer.
To Make In Juicer
- Turn on the slow juicer and add pears, ginger or any other fruits you wish to the juicer chute.
- Serve pear juice fresh immediately.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
This post is from the Archives. First published in May 2017. Updated and republished in May 2021.