Aval laddu recipe – a healthy poha ladoo recipe with step by step photos. I made these last year for a health magazine, made these again last month during the kids’ holidays, so got to share it here. These laddu are iron rich since they are made using red poha and jaggery.
For the binding i used ghee, but milk can also be used. Jaggery and ghee go well rather than jaggery and milk. If making aval ladoo using sugar, then milk can be used.
Just to keep them simple I have made these with only a few ingredients. You can also use peanuts, fried gram, fresh coconut or almonds to add more taste. I have used coconut palm jaggery, you can use jaggery or sugar. If using jaggery, make sure it is clean without debris.
Aval ladoo make a good and healthy snack for kids and can also be packed in their school box.
Aval laddu recipe or poha ladoo
Aval laddu recipe | Poha ladoo recipe | Atukula laddu recipe
Easy aval laddu or poha ladoo are sweet balls made from flattened rice, jaggery and ghee. These can be eaten as a snack.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1 cup poha white or brown or beaten rice or rice flakes/ aval
- ¾ cup jaggery grated or palm sugar or sugar
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi/ ¼ tsp powder
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (optional)
- ¼ cup ghee or milk
- 8 to 10 cashews chopped
- 8 to 10 raisins chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation for aval ladoo
Dry roast aval/ poha till crunchy. Set this aside. Add coconut and fry till you begin to smell good. Cool these completely.
Transfer this to a blender along with cardamoms. Make a fine powder, add jaggery and blend well again. If using sugar then powder the sugar first and then powder the poha coconut. Transfer this to the plate.
How to make aval ladoo
- Heat a pan with ghee, add cashews, fry till they turn golden, and add raisins. Switch off the stove.
Pour this to the aval mixture. Knead everything well and make balls. If needed melt more ghee and add as need. If using milk, replace ghee with milk for binding. Dry roast nuts and use. Use milk only if using sugar and not jaggery.
- Store aval laddu in air tight jar.
How to make aval laddu or poha ladoo recipe
1. Heat a heavy bottom pan and dry roast aval / poha until they turn crunchy.
2. Add desiccated coconut and Switch off the stove. Take care not to burn. If using fresh coconut, transfer aval to a plate first and then saute coconut in little ghee until you begin to smell good.
3. Cool and then powder it. If using whole cardamom, you can add them to poha and powder. A fine poha powder binds well, while making balls. If the powder is coarse ladoo breaks quickly.
4. Add jaggery or sugar and cardamom powder if not added earlier.
5. Blend well and transfer to a plate.
6. Heat ghee and fry nuts and raisins. Add the ghee and roll to balls. if needed you can use more ghee for good binding. If you want to use milk, just warm up and use it. Take small portions and roll them to balls. If using milk use up right away or at least on same day.
Poha ladoo keep good for 7 to 10 days at room temperature, if made using ghee.