Banana sheera recipe – It is also known as just sheera in our parts of Karnataka. It is very commonly prepared during Varalakshmi Vratam, Ganesh Chaturti , Diwali Lakshmi puja and Satyanarayana Swamy puja too. It can be prepared in a jiffy. Rava (semolina), sugar, banana and ghee are some of the ingredients used to make this. There are no standard measurements for using banana or sugar, a little more or less is just fine.
I had prepared this during the varalakshmi puja to offer as naivedhyam. If you are looking for easy naivedyam recipes for ganesh chathurti, you can try this.
Iam sharing 2 methods of making banana sheera recipe. The way we make at my mum’s home is a bit different, we use a lot of ghee to roast the semolina to bring out the flavor. The way I make needs lesser ghee (method 1 in the step by pictures) (method 2 in the recipe box).
How to make banana sheera
1. Dry roast semolina on a medium flame till you get an aroma. Set this aside. This can be done the previous day too.
2. Fry nuts in 2 tbsp. Ghee till golden, add raisins. When they swell up. Transfer these to a plate.
3. Pour 2 cups water and bring it to a boil.
4. Reduce the flame to low, Pour semolina in a slow stream, stirring with the other hand to prevent lumps.
5. When you see all the water is absorbed, add cardamom powder, mashed banana and sugar.
6. Mix and cook till the sugar dissolves. Add ghee and mix. Cook until the banana halwa leaves the sides of the pan. Off the stove and keep it covered for a while.
Garnish banana sheera with nuts and raisins
Recipe card (method 2)
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rava or semolina
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup banana mashed or chopped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms powdered or ¼ tsp powder
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 8 Cashews or as needed
- 8 raisins or as needed
How to make banana sheera
- Heat a pan with ghee. Add nuts & fry till golden. Fry raisins. Keep them aside.
- Add rava to the pan. Fry on a medium flame till you smell the roasted semolina. Do not brown the rava.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil on another burner. Pour it to the rava. Mix well.
- Cook covered till the water is absorbed. Add banana, cardamom powder and sugar. Stir and cook until the moisture reduces.
- When banana sheera is cooked fully, turn of the flame. Keep covered for a while. If desired add more ghee. Cook until the banana sheera leaves the sides of the pan. Garnish with cashews and raisins.
- Serve banana sheera hot or warm.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes