Bread masala or masala bread recipe – A simple, quick and yummy snack made with bread and onion tomato masala. This is made similar to the South Indian Bread upma but with a different tempering. Bread upma is made with a typical South Indian tempering that uses curry leaves, chana dal and urad dal. This bread masala is different in flavor since masala powder is used here.
This makes for a good evening snack during the monsoons. I made this sometime ago to use up the surplus bread.
I have used pav bhaji masala and garam masala to spice up the dish. However you can use any one of them. We love this with some chaat masala, chopped onions and coriander leaves sprinkled over it.
Video of bread masala
Bread masala recipe
Bread masala | Spicy masala bread recipe
Spicy masala bread made in onion tomato masala. It can be served for breakfast or evening snack.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 8 slices Bread cubed - 4½ cups
- 2 tbsp oil or butter
- ¾ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 medium onion - ½ cup chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste or chopped garlic
- 2 medium tomatoes - ¾ cup chopped
- salt as needed
- ¾ tsp pav bhaji masala - substitute with ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ to ¾ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp water to cook masala
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) optional
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves or cilantro chopped
Garnishing - optional
- chaat masala as needed
- 3 tbsp onions very finely chopped
How to make the recipe
Preparation to make bread masala
Cube the bread and set aside.
Chop onions and tomatoes finely. Set aside some for garnish.
Making masala bread
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin.
When it begins to sizzle, then throw in the onions and fry until golden.
Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
Next put in the chopped tomatoes, salt, pav bhaji masala, garam masala and chilli powder.
Saute until the masala leaves the pan.
Pour 3 tbsp of water and cook the masala again until the water evaporates.
Crush the kasuri methi and sprinkle into the onion tomato masala.
Fry for 2 minutes. Check the salt and spice. There should be no water left in the pan at this stage.
Add the bread cubes and gently stir.
Turn off the heat and sprinkle coriander leaves.
Serving masala bread
Remove the bread to serving bowls.
Sprinkle some chaat masala and finely chopped onions over the bread.
Serve bread masala immediately.
If using sour tomatoes, then skip using chaat masala.
How to make masala bread
1. Heat a pan with oil. Add some jeera.
2. When they begin to sizzle, add in the chopped chilies and onions.
3. Fry until the onions turn golden. Then add ginger garlic paste.
4. Saute until the raw smell goes off.
5. Add tomatoes.
6. Next add salt, chili powder, pav bhaji masala and garam masala.
7. Cook until the masala leaves the pan.
8. Pour 3 tbsp of water and cook further until the water evaporates.
9. Add kasuri methi and saute for 2 mins.
10. At this stage make sure there is no water and the mixture is thick.
11. Transfer the bread. Turn off the stove.
12. Gently mix and avoid over mixing as the bread gets mushy. Sprinkle coriander leaves. I did not have coriander leaves so I used parsley.
Serve masala bread immediately with some chaat masala and onions sprinkled over.