Bread upma is a South Indian style breakfast or snack made with bread & spices. It is a super quick way to use up your left over bread and can be done in just 15 mins. Upma is a Indian breakfast made with semolina. Bread upma is a variation to the basic dish and is most commonly served in South Indian Tiffin centers.
I have used brown bread, however white bread, baguette or pav can also be used. If using brown bread, then do not skip toasting the bread otherwise it doesn’t taste good.
Apart from removing the raw smell of bread, toasting also prevents the chunks of bread from turning mushy. Bread upma is best served hot, immediately after preparing.
You can also check this similar recipe of Bread masala.
Easy bread upma
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 slices bread (prefer brown bread)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal (skip if you don’t have)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¾ tsp ginger paste or grated
- 1 green chili slit or chopped
- 8 to 10 cashew nuts split or peanuts
- ¼ cup onions chopped finely (1 medium)
- ½ cup ripe tomatoes chopped finely (1 large) (adjust as needed)
- Salt as needed
- 2 pinches turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp chili powder (less spicy variety)
- ½ tsp sugar (skip if using milk bread)
- 3 to 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- Lemon juice to serve (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pan and toast the bread until crisp on both the sides. Cool completely. Cut them to small cubes and set aside.
- Pour oil to the same pan and fry cashews or peanuts until golden. Set these aside with bread.
- Add mustard and urad dal. Saute till urad dal turns lightly golden.
- Next add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute until the leaves turn crisp.
- Sprinkle hing. Add onions and saute until they turn golden. Saute the ginger paste as well.
- Next add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Saute until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- Then add chili powder and sugar. Saute for 2 mins until the raw smell goes off.
- Pour 3 to 4 tbsp water and mix.
How to make bread upma
- Cook until the mixture turns thick. Check spice and salt. Add more if needed.
- Add bread cubes and cashews. Mix to coat the spice mixture to bread.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Serve bread upma hot. Sprinkle some lemon juice if desired.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
1. Toast the bread until crisp either on the tawa or in a toaster. If you are making use of more than 2 slices, it is convenient to do it in a oven.
Do not skip this step if you are using brown bread or whole meal bread or sprouted flour breads. You can skip toasting if you are using pav, white bread or french baguette.
2. Cool completely and cut to cubes.
How to make bread upma
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add cashews or peanuts to the hot oil and fry until golden. Set these aside with bread.
4. Add mustard and urad dal. Saute until the dal turns lightly golden.
5. Then add green chilies and curry leaves. Saute until they turn crisp. Add hing.
6. Add finely chopped onions.
7. Saute until they turn golden. Add ginger paste.
8. Next saute just until you get the aroma of ginger. Do not over fry, ginger turns bitter.
9. Add tomatoes, salt and turmeric. Saute until the tomatoes turn completely mushy.
10. Next put in chili powder and little sugar.
11. Saute for another 2 mins.
12. Add 3 to 4 tbsps water.
13. Cook until the masala turns thick. Check the taste and adjust salt and spice if needed.
14. Add bread and cashews.
15. Mix everything well till the masala clings on to the bread pieces well. Do not stir a lot, bread gets mushy. Add some coriander leaves.
Serve bread upma hot with some lemon juice sprinkled on top.