Chocolate sandwich is one of the most loved dessert sandwiches on the café menus. Basically it is nothing but chocolate filling in between bread slices. There are so many different variations to make the filling. I have shared a few of them which I make at home. These chocolate sandwiches are a favorite with my boys and I make them quite often.
These make a great breakfast or a snack for kids. I also give these in the school box for their mid-morning break.
1. Chop the chocolate or use choco chips.
2. Chop the nuts and fruits as well if using. Keep the nuts very small.
3. This was another time I used the chocolate chips along with some chopped nuts.
4. Heat your toaster and smear some ghee or butter over the bread slices. Grill them until golden and crisp. The chocolate inside melts on its own.
Slice the chocolate sandwich and serve. Be careful if serving to young kids, the chocolate inside turns very hot.
Here are some tips to make the filling:
Chocolate spread: You can use any store bought chocolate spread or make your own by the chopping you favorite choice of chocolate or use choco chips. Sometimes I also use leftover condensed from another recipe and mix some cocoa powder to make an extremely delicious spread. So firstly decide the spread.
Fruits: You can use chopped fruits along with chocolate. Banana, ripe mangoes, dried figs, sweet raisins and strawberries go well. Banana & chocolate make an extremely delicious combo. I usually go with this.
Nuts are an all-time favorite with us as they add a crunchy texture to the filling and also some protein. Pistachios or hazelnuts go well. Feel free to add your choice or nuts here. Ensure you chop them very well.
Cream cheese is a must try combo with chocolate. If using cream cheese, skip fruits and nuts. Go with just the cream cheese and chocolate combo. Bring the cream cheese to room temperature. Then spread it over the bread followed by the chocolate.
Grilling / toasting:
1. You can assemble the sandwich and grill it in a sandwich toaster.
or 2. Toast the bread slices in a toaster. Then smear the melted chocolate and layer your fruits & nuts.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 6 slices bread
- 1½ tbsp Butter or ghee as needed
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate or chocolate spread
- 2 to 3 tbsps pistachios or any nuts (chopped)
- 1 banana chopped finely (optional)
- ¼ cup cream cheese (optional)
- Trim the edges of the bread & butter them on one side.
Method 1 – Grilling in sandwich toaster
- On the other side of the bread, spread chocolate, nuts and then the banana. Place another slice with the buttered side on top. Toast it in a preheated sandwich toaster until crisp and golden.
Method 2 – Stovetop
- Toast the bread slices on a griddle until golden and crisp.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave for 30 to 50 seconds in intervals of 20 seconds. Mix well until the chocolate turns smooth. Or Alternately add chocolate to a small bowl and place it over hot water. Whisk with a fork to melt and smooth the chocolate.
- Spread this over the toasted bread, followed by sprinkling some chopped nuts and then banana.
- Cover the chocolate sandwich with another slice.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes