Mushroom sandwich recipe – 3 easy and simple recipes to make mushroom sandwiches. Mushrooms are a power house of nutrition with the added benefits of being low calorie and fat free plant food. Apart from adding them to fried rice, curry and stir fry dishes, I also make Mushroom Sandwiches. I have shared 3 mushroom sandwiches in this post.
All of these are super quick to make and can be served for breakfast. These can also be carried to school or work.
Here are the 3 variations:
- 1. Mushroom sandwiches with hot garlic mushrooms, mayo or hung curd & veggies. Sometimes I make these for dinner with Tomato soup or Vegetable soup.
- 2. The second recipe is a grilled cheese mushroom sandwich.
- 3. Third one is sauteed bell pepper & mushrooms with spice powders.
Recipe 1 – How to Make Mushroom Sandwich
To make this mushroom sandwich, I have made the filling from this garlic mushroom post. If you love spicy foods then you will love this. These sandwiches turns out flavorful and delicious.
Hot and spicy mushrooms taste amazing. If you don’t eat hot and spicy foods then you can try the other methods which I have shared below.
I have used French baguette here, you can just replace it with any bread you have including a pav or burger bun.
1. Add 5 garlic cloves, 5 red chilies, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp salt and 3/4 tbsp vinegar (or lemon juice) to a blender jar. Pour 1 to 2 tbsps water and make a slightly coarse paste. You can also deseed the chilies and use.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add half tsp cumin. When they crackle add 1 medium onion sliced and fry until golden. Then add the ground garlic chilli paste and saute on a low to medium heat for 2 to 3 mins until it turns aromatic.
Add 1.5 cups sliced mushrooms and saute until they are cooked to your liking. If the mushrooms do not let out moisture then cover and cook. They will release some moisture. Taste and add more salt and sugar if needed. Set aside to cool.
3. Slice and butter the bread and toast it on a griddle or in a preheated oven at 240 C for 5 mins. Spread the filling evenly.
5. Place your shredded lettuce or any greens you like. Some onions and deseeded tomatoes over it. Little bit of mayo over it again and place your other slice of bread.
The filling will be good enough to make 2 large sandwiches or 3 regular sandwiches.
Mushroom sandwich is ready. You can also wrap this and take it to work.
Recipe 2 – Grilled mushroom cheese sandwich recipe
I have made this in a grill pan on stovetop. But can make it in an oven or in a sandwich toaster. This is just an idea and you can make many variations to this.
1. Smear butter over your bread and toast it until golden in whatever way you like. I did it in the pan. If making in a sandwich maker skip this step.
2. Add a tbsp. of oil and saute green chilli, garlic and onions until pink or golden.
3. Add mushrooms and sprinkle salt.
4. Saute until they are cooked to suit your taste. We like to keep them al dente.
5. Transfer the mushrooms over the bread. Place the cheese over the mushrooms & then add some dried herbs & pepper. Place another bread slice.
6. Grill it in the oven or toaster. I grilled in the pan by placing another heavy cast iron pan over the bread. Left it until the cheese melted.
Serve mushroom sandwich hot.
Recipe – 3 Bell pepper mushroom sandwich
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add a large pinch of cumin (optional), 1 chopped chilli (optional), 1 garlic clove (chopped). When they crackle, add 1 medium sliced onion and saute until they turn light golden.
2. Then add half cup chopped bell peppers and 1 cup sliced mushrooms. Saute until they turn tender. Then add 1 sprig curry leaves (optional). I crushed 8 pepper corn with half tsp fennel seeds in a mini blender and then added.
If you do not like the flavors of fennel then just add 1/4 to half tsp garam masala.
3. Saute all of these until you begin to get a good smell of the spice powders. Turn off and cool this. Smear some butter on the bread slices and then place the mushroom mixture over the other side.
4. Place another slice of bread (butter side out) and toast this in a sandwich toaster. I toasted the bread on the pan as I made just one mushroom sandwich. The stuffing is good enough to make 3 to 4 mushroom sandwiches.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread (bread of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves fine chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 pinch salt as needed (very little since cheese is salted)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes or chopped green chilli
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese (adjust to taste)
How to make Mushroom Sandwich
- Heat a pan or grill pan with oil. Saute garlic and onions until onions turn golden.
- Add mushrooms and saute until they are cooked yet crunchy. Set these aside.
- Smear ¼ to ½ tbsp butter over each bread slice.
- Spread the mushrooms over the inner side of the bread (buttered side out).
- Top the bread with mushrooms & grated cheese. Then sprinkle herbs and chilli flakes.
- Place another slice of bread (buttered side out).
- Toast this in a sandwich toaster or on a pan until the cheese melts. If doing it on a pan, toast it on a low heat and press down the mushroom sandwich with a spatula. Flip and gently toast again until the cheese melts.
- Slice the mushroom sandwich and serve hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes