Chicken cutlet recipe or chicken patties or tikki. Delicious & crispy chicken patties that can be made in just 40 mins. These make a great snack / appetizer or a starter for parties or weekend meals.
They go perfectly well even with a cup of tea as a evening snack. These can also be used as patties to make chicken burger or can be stuffed in wraps.
For this chicken cutlet recipe, I have used boneless chicken breasts but bone-in chicken can also be used. I make cutlet using this keema which I shared sometime ago. Sharing another method today which taste very different from the earlier one.
There is no potato or bread used here for binding like the way they are used in most cutlet recipes. But they can be used if you like to reduce your intake of meat in these chicken patties.
If you follow the food combining rules, then it is good to avoid potato with chicken but other veggies like carrot & cabbage can be used.
Preparation for chicken cutlet
1. Wash chicken well and drain up completely. Add the chicken to a pan or pot. I had this buttermilk brined chicken left after making Zinger burger which i used up to make these cutlets. But as such there is no need to brine it.
If you do not have tender chicken, then you can wash and then soak it in buttermilk (2 tbsp curd and half cup water) for at least 2 hours. This makes the chicken juicy, tender and the cutlets turn out to be good, not chewy.
2. As i mentioned earlier even chicken with bones is fine for this recipe. Just cook them in a pot on a low flame until soft and completely cooked. Chicken begins to release lot of moisture so no water should be added. However little water can be sprinkled if there is no moisture released.
3. When it is completely cooked, open the lid and cook further for a while to evaporate the stock or strain it off. There was not much stock left, so just cooking for another 2 to 3 mins evaporated the stock. But you can also collect the stock and use it in your soups or serve to kids. You can cut the chicken and check if it is cooked well. I just used a fork to do it.
Making chicken cutlet
4. When the chicken is cooled completely, discard the bones. Either pulse it in a blender or chop it finely or shred. I prefer to chop it. Then add finely chopped onions, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, salt, coriander or mint leaves turmeric, red chili powder and garam masala. If you do not have garam masala, you can use cajun spice mix or little all spice. If you prefer to use potato , you can add one steamed/ boiled & mashed potato now. You can also add grated carrots and shredded cabbage.
5. Mix everything well. Then begin to add rice flour or bread crumbs, little by little as needed.
6. Knead the mixture very well until it comes together. Use flour only as needed. When you begin to knead the moisture from the chicken and onions begin to release and bind everything well.
7. Divide the dough and make 8 to 9 patties. Set these aside.
8. Beat an egg & salt in a bowl. Or you can also make a batter made of besan, salt and water. The batter must not be very thick or thin but has to be like the bajji batter consistency. Also Take the bread crumbs in a bowl. I used dried bread crumbs, you can also make them by pulsing few slices of bread in a blender. Dip each patty in the batter or egg mixture.
How to make chicken cutlet
9. Immediately add it to the bowl of bread crumbs. Coat it well.
10. Repeat the process of dipping all the patties in batter / egg and then in the bread crumbs. Set these aside for about 15 mins for the crumbs to set well. Gently press down each of these cutlets including on the sides so that the crumbs stick well.
11. These can be deep fried or shallow fried or pan fried. I pan fried them.I added 2 tbsp oil to the pan. When the oil turns hot, tilt the pan slightly so that the oil is on one side. Then slowly drop the patties, 2 at one time. When the patties are coated well with oil on one side, just move them aside and add 2 more.
12. This way make sure all the chicken cultets are dropped in oil for even frying and coloring.
13. When they turn golden, flip them to the other side and fry. I added another tbsp oil now around the edges for the other side to fry well.
14. Since these are not deep or shallow fried in oil, the sides do not turn golden. If you are particular about the color, then I suggest deep frying or fry on the sides as well as shown in the pic below. But even pan fried patties turn very crunchy & delicious.
Serve chicken patties hot with onion wedges, tomato ketch up or green chutney.
You may like to check these Chicken recipes
These can be served wtih green chutney or sauce.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 to 300 grams chicken
- ½ cup onions finely chopped
- 1 medium potato boiled and mashed (optional)
- ½ cup boiled peas (optional)
- 1 green chilli slit
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- Handful coriander leaves & pudina / mint
- 1 ½ tsp garam masala or all spice powder as needed
- ½ cup rice flour or bread crumbs (use as needed)
- ¼ cup chickpea flour or any flour or or besan (substitute with egg)
- Salt as needed
- 3 tbsp Oil for pan frying (more if shallow frying)
How to make the recipe
- Boil chicken in a pot until completely cooked. Cool the chicken and mince it or pulse it in a blender.
- Add onions, mashed potato (optional), chili, garam masala, ginger garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, turmeric and coriander leaves.
- Mix all together and add flour little by little only as needed. Knead the mixture to a dough without adding water. Onions release moisture and bind the mixture well.
Making chicken cutlet or chicken patties
- Make 8 to 9 patties. If you have use potato , you will get about 12. Make a batter using flour and very little salt or beat an egg with salt.
- Dip the patty in batter or egg and then immediately in the bread crumbs. Keep these aside for 15 mins. Pat the cutlets well to bind the crumbs well.
- Heat a pan with oil. Shallow fry or deep fry or pan fry to suit your liking. If pan frying then follow the instructions mentioned in the step by step pictures.
- Serve chicken cutlets hot with ketch up or green chutney.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.