Paneer sandwich recipe in 3 ways. An easy sandwich made with crumbled paneer, spices, veggies & herbs. This paneer sandwich makes for a quick breakfast or snack and is kids’ friendly. Sandwiches are a great alternate to the time consuming traditional Indian breakfasts like paratha, poha, idli, dosa and upma.
Sandwiches are a favorite with my kids and sometimes they prefer to take it to the school in their box.
I make paneer sandwich in different ways. I have shared 3 ways to make it here in this post. All of them taste different and are easy to make .
I used this homemade paneer but you can also use store bought paneer. Just note that soft and moist paneer tastes best in these sandwiches.
3 ways to make paneer sandwich
1. No cook paneer sandwich : The stuffing is made by just mixing a handful of ingredients. You can toast the paneer sandwich in a grill or in a oven or even on a tawa. This method is the simplest and has been adapted from this cream cheese sandwich.
2. Paneer bhurji sandwich in 10 mins : This one does not need a toaster. You can just temper the spice powders in little oil and then add the paneer. Stuff it in the bread and toast on the tawa.
3. Tawa paneer sandwich: The third method takes some time as the stuffing is made by sautéing the onion & tomatoes along with spices. Then paneer is added to it. The stuffing is made similar to the paneer bhurji.
I follow this 3rd recipe sometimes when I plan to use the stuffing for different foods like sandwiches, rolls or to serve as a side with some roti.
For this method stuffing can very well be prepared the previous night and refrigerated. It need not be heated up in the morning if you are going to use a toaster.
If making on tawa, heat up until warm and use it.
Recipe 1 – Paneer Sandwich
1. Add ½ cup crumbled paneer to a large mixing bowl. I used this homemade paneer. If your crumbled paneer is too dry then mash it a bit.
2. You can use any of your favorite veggies. Or can use only one veggie. If you use onion you have to use up the filling immediately otherwise the taste and flavor alters. So I did not add here. To the same paneer bowl, I added the following:
- ¼ cup grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons cucumber (very finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes (very finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons boiled corn (very finely chopped).
3. Then add
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 green chili (chopped, optional)
- 1 tablespoon sauce. I used this homemade schezwan sauce. You can use any sauce or even chutney.
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala (or 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
4. Mix everything well. Taste it and add more salt and spice if you like. I added half a lemon as my sauce wasn’t tangy. Mix up everything well. You can also keep this in the fridge for later use.
5. Spread any sauce on one slice. I used schezwan sauce, then spread the paneer mixture. On the other slice I used hung curd (thick curd). You can use sauce, thick curd, mayo, green chutney or any other spread you like.
6. Butter the bread slices and toast them in a sandwich toaster or oven. If you do not have a toaster, just place the sandwich on a tawa and grill until golden and crisp.
Cool down the paneer sandwich a bit and then slice.
You can find recipe 2 in the recipe card below.
1. Heat a with 1 teaspoon oil. Add ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds and allow it to crackle.
2. Add 1 small chopped onion and fry until transparent. Then add ¾ teaspoon ginger garlic paste and fry until it turns aromatic.
3. Add 1 finely chopped and mashed medium sized tomato. Add ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon turmeric. Saute for few minutes until the tomatoes break down.
4. Then add the following:
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ to ½ garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi (optional)
5. Saute everything well until it smells good just for 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add ½ to ¾ cup crumbled paneer.
7. Stir and saute just until everything blends well. Do not over fry. Add coriander leaves. Stir. Set this aside to a plate. Check salt and add more if needed.
How to make paneer sandwich
7. Butter the bread slices and toast on the same pan. You can also use a sandwich toaster or grill them in oven. Spread the cooked paneer mixture. You can add fresh grated carrot or any other veggies like raw onions, cucumbers etc Add some coriander leaves.
9. Place the other slice over. Press gently.
Slice it. Paneer sandwich is ready.
Paneer sandwich recipe | How to make paneer sandwich
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for recipe 1
- 6 slices brown bread
- 1 tablespoons butter softened
- ½ cup paneer crumbled
- 1 tablespoon sauce tomato sauce, chilli sauce or schezwan sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomatoes deseeded & fine chopped
- 3 tablespoon sweet corn boiled
- ¼ cup carrot grated
- 2 tablespoon cucumber deseeded & fine chopped
- 2 tablespoon coriander leaves fine chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or ½ tsp chaat masala (optional)
- 2 tablespoon green chutney or any sauce or thick curd or mayo (to spread)
Ingredients for recipe 3 paneer sandwich
- 6 slices bread
- 1 ½ tsp oil or as needed
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 small onion chopped finely (optional)
- ¾ tsp ginger grated , or ginger garlic paste
- 1 small tomato chopped or tomato sauce
- 1 Pinch turmeric
- Salt (as needed)
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder (adjust to suit your taste)
- ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala powder
- ½ to ¾ cup paneer (crumbled )
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots Grated or beetroot or onion as desired
- ¼ cup capsicum finely chopped, or green peas (optional)
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
Instructions for Recipe 1 – No cook paneer sandwich
- To a mixing bowl add crumbled paneer, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, green chilies, coriander leaves and salt.
- Add 1 tbsp sauce or green chutney or thick curd along with chaat masala. Mix well.
- Taste this add more salt or sauce if needed.
- Butter the bread slices on the outer side. Spread sauce or mayo or curd or green chutney on the inner side.
- Spread the paneer mixture over the sauce and cover with another slice. Toast the paneer sandwich in a toaster or tawa until golden.
Instructions for Recipe 2 – paneer sandwich
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add a pinch of cumin & fry until they begin to sizzle.
- Add 1 chopped garlic and fry until fragrant.
- Then add ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder, ¼ to ½ tsp garam masala, ¼ to ½ tsp kasuri methi and salt.
- Add 1/3 cup crumbled paneer and fry just for 1 minute. Sprinkle coriander leaves.
- Butter 4 bread slices on one side. Spread the paneer on the other side.
- Place some onion slices, tomatoes & cucumbers. You can also smear some green chutney or tomato sauce on the inner side of bread slices. Toast on the same tawa.
Instructions for Recipe 3
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds. When they splutter add onions and fry until golden.
- Add grated ginger & fry for a minute. Next put in tomatoes and salt. Saute untill soft.
- Stir in red chili powder, garam masala, kasuri methi & amchur powder. Mix and fry for a minute.
- Turn off the stove and add in crumbled paneer and coriander leaves. Check salt and spice add more if needed. Remove this to a bowl.
- Grilling on tawa or griddle – Apply ghee or butter on one side of the bread slice. Toast bread slices till golden. Then place the prepared paneer. Layer with some grated carrots, beets & onions. Cover with another slice and press down the paneer sandwiches with a flat wooden spoon.
- Grilling in toaster – You can also grill these in a toaster. Cut and serve paneer sandwich.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes
Paneer sandwich recipe originally published in September 2012, Republished in July 2019.