Veg Sandwich Recipe | Simple Vegetable Sandwich
Veg sandwich recipe – A simple mixed vegetable sandwich for breakfast or evening snack you can make under 15 mins. This veg sandwich is so delicious, sort of healthy & is devoid of sauces, chutney or cheese. Most sandwich recipes call for some or the other sauces, spreads or cheese. I do not stock up on any bottled spreads or sauces as most of these come with loads of creepy ingredients & additives to extend the shelf life.
It is hard for me to make any sandwich that has these ingredients listed as I never have them in hand. Whenever my people at home ask me for a good sandwich this is something that comes to my mind instantly.
This veg sandwich recipe is made without a grill, toaster or oven. It is just made on a pan/ tawa or griddle in the simplest way. I have not used any sauce or green chutney.
So it is good even to make on a busy weekday morning for breakfast as it needs only a handful of ingredients that we mostly have in the pantry.
I have used carrots, onions, corn, beans & bell pepper. You can also use some boiled potatoes, sliced or cheese if you like. Tomato is used for binding the veggies, if skipped the filling will turn out dry.
To bind the veggies, you will need to either use cheese or grill it in a sandwich maker.
More simple Sandwich Recipes
Tomato cucumber sandwich
Veg mayo sandwich
How to Make Veg Sandwich (Stepwise Photos)
Toast the bread
1. Smear butter or ghee on the bread and toast them until golden on one side and until firm on the other side. While you toast, chop or slice the veggies thinly.
2. Heat oil on a pan, Saute cumin until they crackle. Add garlic and fry until a good smell comes out. I did not have garlic so i used ginger garlic paste.
3. Add chopped, mashed or pureed tomato. Sprinkle salt and mix.
4. Cover and cook on a medium heat until it turns completely soft and mushy.
5. You can add chilli powder now and saute for a minute. I did not use it since i used green chilies in the next step.
6. Add veggies. Saute on a medium to high flame until they are partially cooked. I do not cover and cook since mine gets cooked quickly. If your carrots are not tender, you may need to cover and cook. Sauteing on a high flame lends a smoky flavor.
7. Add pav bhaji masala or garam masala and coriander leaves. Pav bhaji masala works very well for this, if you do not have you can use kitchen king masala or garam masala like me. Adjust the salt and make sure the veggies are at least partially cooked.
Fill the Vegetable Sandwich
8. Place the toasted slices and transfer the veggies over them. If you wish to have cheese , then sprinkle now.
9. Place another slice of bread. Press down gently. If using cheese, toast it on a low heat without burning until the cheese melts. Alternately you can also grill in a sandwich maker.
Serve veg sandwich hot.
Tips to make veg sandwich recipe
- You can use any quick cook mix vegetables of your choice. This veg sandwich can also be made with a single veggie like carrot or bell pepper or sweet corn alone. You can also use the prechopped mix veggies from the frozen section.
- Feel free to use any cheese of your choice to make a cheese veggie sandwich. I sometimes use the mozzarella cheese or paneer in this.
- You can also use any chutney like this green chutney if you have in hand. Just spread it over the bread and then add the sauteed vegetables.
- For healthier option make the veg sandwich with brown bread or whole grain bread.
- You can also make this in a sandwich toaster.
Veg Sandwich Recipe | Vegetable Sandwich
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 4 slices bread (any)
- 2 tsps butter or ghee (optional)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 1 tsp garlic chopped or ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 pinch turmeric or haldi
- salt as needed
- 2 green chilies chopped or ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup mixed veggies heaped, (carrot, onion, capsicum, corn,beans)
- 1 tomato large, finely chopped mashed (about half cup)
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala or pav bhaji masala or any spice powder
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Add oil to the pan, add cumin and allow to splutter. Saute garlic until a nice aroma comes.
- Next add tomatoes and sprinkle salt. Cover and cook until soft and mushy. If using red chili powder add it now and saute for a minute.
- Add the veggies and begin to saute on a medium to high flame until half done or soft cooked to suit your taste. You can also cover and cook until soft.
- Next add masala powder and coriander leaves. Stir and saute for a minute. If needed add more salt. Set this aside.
How to Make Veg Sandwich
- For stove top grilling – Smear butter over the bread slices and toast them until golden on the outer side and until crisp on the inner side. Transfer the prepared veggies. If desired add cheese at this step.
- Cover with another slice of bread and press down. If using cheese, turn on the flame to very low and heat until the cheese melts. Press down the bread with a wooden spoon. This helps the bread to stick to the stuffing. You can also grill this in a sandwich maker
- For grilling in veg sandwich in toaster – Butter the bread slices on the outer side. On the inner side spread the veggie mix and cover with another slice. Grill it in a sandwich toaster until golden.
- Serve veg sandwich hot.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Oh my!! I approximated this recipe as best I could and it was fabulous! I skipped the onion, just used Campari tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, canned corn, green chilis and frozen butter beans. Cumin, turmeric, garam masala and some kinda herb my Indian neighbor gave me from her garden. No cheese. My goodness I can’t wait to make it again. How could it be so good?
Thank you so much for sharing how it turned out. So happy to know!
I am a regular follower of your recipes. Your step by step method of guiding us is very helpful. If I look for a particular dish to cook, I browse in the google search and ask for the dish with your name. Sometimes if it didnt show your website, i wont cook that dish for that day. I am happy to check only from your website. I thank you very much.
Glad to know you like the recipes. Thank you so much for leaving a note. Makes me happy.
Simple and tasty. Makes for a wholesome breakfast. Also nice way to use leftover veggies. Loved it.
Thank you winnie
What a great idea keep the good work , but I have a question what is jaggery and is there an unsalted butter
Thank you! Jaggery is Indian unrefined sweetener made from sugarcane.
Unsalted butter is just plain butter to which salt is not added
Very nice..smart way to use veges for kids..
Thank you Swasthi
I tried it…the tomato left so much water and the veggies overcooked..what can I do differently?
As mentioned in the recipe, veggies need to be sauteed on a high flame otherwise they will let out moisture.
i loved it a lot
It was very tasty and apso so easy time saving
I always prepare the above said method.
Glad you like it. Thank you
I came across your website looking for a recipe for a stir-fried vegetables sandwich, because all I had in the house was vegetables and some bread. It was so yummy!
I don’t know much about indian food and cuisine so I started browsing your website and everything looks so good. Can’t want to try some of your other recipes. Thank you!
You are welcome. Glad you liked the recipes. Yes do try them. I am sure you will love the flavors. Thank you so much! Hope you enjoy the recipes!
Thank you so much Awasthi for this lovely recepie it just made my day. My wife was not felling well so I decided to make sandwiches for dinner. Wanting to make something different thank God I came across your recepie. The sandwiches turned out so good my wife loved it too. Thank you once again.
You are welcome Deven!
Awesome! So glad your veg sandwiches turned out good. Wishing your wife a speedy recovery. Thanks for rating the recipe.
Very easy veg sandwich. Tasted good
Am I supposed to toast both sides in the first step with inner side being toasted more and outer side being toasted less? Also, when I try on the tawa, only portion of the bread which is near the centre of the tawa gets browned properly and the one near the edge is less toasted so I am able to do only one slice at a time. Any tips to get uniform toasting of two slices a the same time on the tawa? My tawa is totally flat and not curved at all
I understand it. You must increase the flame such that the heat reaches the entire tawa. I always do 2 at a time. Hope this helps.
wow its so yummy i liked it a lot thanks for the recipe
Yummy.It was so colorful.
Tried it.came out very tasty and yummy