Corn pakoda recipe – A quick evening snack recipe made with sweet corn, onions, spices and herbs. These andhra style crisp fried corn fritters are extremely delicious and addictive. I know I have been sharing lot of fried snacks for sometime now. Very soon my kids’ school holidays will end and hopefully I will be able to share healthy recipes for kids.
I made these spicy sweet corn pakoda sometime back for a weekend snack. They turned crispy, flavorful and spicy. So I made them again for the blog to share with you all here.
They can be eaten on their own or with a chutney, coffee, tea or masala chai. You can also simply sprinkle some chaat masala and serve. They can also be eaten in a meal with your rasam rice or sambar rice.
These corn pakora also make an amazing party appetizer and will vanish in no time. This time we served these with the coconut chutney.
I have used frozen corn here. You can also use corn on the cob.
Crispy corn pakoda recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for corn pakoda
- 1 ½ cups Sweet corn kernels
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- 2 to 3 tbsps besan / gram flour / senaga pindi
- 2 to 3 tbsp rice flour or corn flour
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 onion small , thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies
- 1 to 2 sprigs curry leaves or mint or pudina
- Salt as needed
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Oil for frying as needed
How to make the recipe
Preparation for corn pakoda recipe
- To make sweet corn pakoda, you can use corn on the cob or frozen corn.
- If using corn on the cob, cook them until soft. Scrape off the corn from the cob with a knife. If using frozen corn, just rinse them and drain very well. Make sure there is no moisture.
- Pulse them coarsely few times in a mixer jar or food processor. The mixture has to be coarse.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except oil and mix. Adjust salt as needed.
How to make sweet corn pakoda
- Heat oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small portion of the mixture. The dough has to rise without browning quickly.
- Drop small portions of this mixture to the hot oil.
- Fry until golden stirring often.
- Drain them on kitchen tissues. Serve sweet corn pakoda hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make andhra style corn pakoda recipe
1. If using corn on the cob, boil them until tender. Using a knife scrape them off from the cob. I used frozen corn, So I rinsed them and drained well.
2. Add them to a blender jar and pulse coarsely. 2 to 3 times is good enough. Do not over do this. Make sure all the corn are crushed else they may burst while frying.
3. Next add the mixture to a bowl along with onions, green chilies, cumin, chopped curry leaves.
5. Add rice flour and chili powder.
6. Mix well. The mixture must be like a dough and not batter. If it is soggy, then you can add more besan and rice flour in equal amounts.
7. Heat oil in a kadai. When it is hot enough, drop small portions of this mixture. Fry until golden on a medium heat. Drain them on a kitchen tissue.
Serve sweet corn pakoda hot with tea or chutney.