Corn cutlet recipe – These sweet corn cutlet or patties can be had for breakfast or as a evening Snack. Made with potatoes, sweet corn and spice powders, they are pan roasted but can be baked as well. These can be eaten on their own or served with a chutney or can be used as patties in burger. They are tasty and will be loved by everyone in whatever way it is served. They also go well in the kids snack box.
1. Boil potato in whatever way you like. I made thin slices of potato and boiled it in a pan with water just enough to cover it.
2. It must be just cooked without getting mushy. Drain it if any stock is left. Stock can be added to soups or given to the kids with a pinch of salt.
3. Mash it well.
4. Add corn, red chili powder, chopped chilies, ginger paste, salt, garam masala(spice powder), coriander leaves(cilantro). If you are not using frozen corn, you will have to boil the corn and then use here.
5. Add ¼ cup powdered poha (beaten rice) or bread crumbs. Poha absorbs moisture better and gives a good crust. You can skip using bread crumbs and poha by blending half of this dough in a blender and mix with the rest.
6. Mix everything well.
7. Divide the dough to equal sized balls. If you are unable to bind the dough well, you can moisten your fingers, knead the dough balls. Another way is to blend a small portion of this mixture in a blender and mix it up with the rest.
8. Flatten them and toast on a hot tawa with a tbsp of oil for each batch. As such these patties do not need much oil to toast. They get a good crust due to the addition of red poha. These can also be dipped in batter made of besan or rice flour. Then coated with bread crumbs and toasted.
9. Flip them to the corn patties and toast until golden.
Serve sweet corn cutlet with green chutney or tomato sauce or any other chutney.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup potatoes heaped or 2 medium potatoes
- ¾ cup sweet corn (frozen or fresh corn on the cob)
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala or any spice powder
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- salt as needed
- ¼ tsp chaat masala (optional)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or poha/ beaten rice(powdered)
- 2 tbsp oil
- Boil potatoes until just done.
- If using corn on the cob, boil them till al dente.
- Mash the potatoes well and add the rest of the ingredients except oil.
- Knead well to bind the dough. If the dough becomes dry, knead with moist fingers. You can also blend half of the mixture in a blender and mix with the rest.
- Make 8 balls and flatten them.
- Heat a pan with 1 tbsp oil and toast them on both sides until golden.
- Serve corn cutlet hot or warm with chutney or sauce.
Add 2 tbsp besan or rice flour to a bowl and make a batter. Dip each patty in the batter, place it in the bread crumbs and coat it well on both sides with bread crumbs. Set aside for about 5 to 10 minutes, then toast.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes