Egg biryani recipe – fragrant rice cooked in aromatic biryani spices and boiled eggs to yield a delicious one pot egg biryani. This is one of the most easiest, delicious and flavorful biryani that you can make at home with very few ingredients. Best to prepare when running short of time and desiring to have a special meal. Any raita varieties like onion raita or mint raita with some papads will go well with this.
This is not a dum biryani, but tastes great with good flavors and can be prepared in a pot or in a pressure cooker. Potatoes and capsicum are 2 ingredients that add flavor to this one pot egg biryani. However I have made this time without potatoes.
To make a best egg biryani, the use of best quality fresh spices, basmati rice and masala powder is very important. I have used this homemade biryani masala powder. If using a store bought powder, do choose a good flavorful one.
I have made this with basmati rice but you can use any non sticky variety of rice. You can also make this in a instant pot using 2 cups of water.
You can also check this easy Chicken biryani.
Egg biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 tbsp Oil
- 1½ cups basmati rice or any aged rice
- 1½ tsp Ginger garlic paste
- ½ cubed capsicums or 1 large potato cubed (optional)
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies slit or minced
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs (make few gashes)
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp Biryani masala powder (adjust)
- handful mint and coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp yogurt or curd (do not use sour one)
- 2 ½ cups water
Spices for egg biryani
- 1 star anise or chakri phool
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- ½ tsp. shahi jeera or cumin or jeera
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 4 to 5 cloves laung
- 1 inch cinnamon stick dalchini
- 1 strand mace mace
How to make the recipe
Preparation for egg biryani recipe
- Soak rice for at least 20 to 30 mins. Drain water and set the rice aside in a colander.
- Boil eggs and remove the shells and wash them. Make few gashes using a knife or a fork. Set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker or a pot with oil. Add capsicums if using and fry on high for 2 to 3 mins. Set these aside.
How to make egg biryani
- Add star anise, bay leaf, shahi jeera, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and mace. Allow them to sizzle.
- Add onions and fry till golden or light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste. Fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add tomatoes, mint, red chili powder, turmeric, salt and yogurt. Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add eggs, potatoes (if using) and biryani masala powder. Fry till the mixture thickens.
- Pour water and add salt as needed. Taste to check for salt and spice levels. Bring it to a boil.
- Add rice and capsicums. Cook rice in open pan till very little water is left.
- Lower the flame, cover and cook till the rice is done fully. If using pressure cooker, close the lid and cook on a very low flame for about 5 minutes. Switch off before it whistles to prevent it from becoming mushy. Set this aside, don’t leave on the hot burner.
- Fluff up the egg biryani and serve with raita.
1. Boil eggs, shell them and wash. I prick them with a fork randomly. Set aside.
2. Heat a pan with oil, fry capsicums for 2 minutes if using and set them aside. Time to add whole spices cinnamon, star anise, shahi jeera, cloves, bay leaf and cardamom.
3. When they begin to sizzle, add onions and green chilies. Then fry till lightly golden.
4. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
5. Add tomatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, salt, yogurt, coriander and mint leaves. Mix and cook till the tomatoes become mushy.
6. Add the eggs and the biryani masala powder. If you wish to use potato, you can use at this stage. Mix well and cook until the mixture thickens and begins to leave the sides of the pan.
How to make egg biryani
7. Pour water and adjust salt if needed. Bring the water to a boil.
8. Add rice, fried capsicums (if using) and cook till the rice is cooked fully.
9. If using the pressure cooker, when the rice is half cooked, very little water is left as you see in the picture above, close the lid and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes. Switch off before it whistles. Set aside to cool. If you wish to have a mushy and soft biryani, allow to whistle. If you are using normal rice, let it whistle once.
10. Fluff up biryani when you open the lid.