Egg dum biryani recipe – Hyderabadi egg dum biryani made with basmati rice, spices, herbs, yogurt and saffron. Biryani is an amazing invention of the mughals and had been loved across the globe for its unique aroma, flavor & taste. This Hyderabadi egg biryani is one of our favorites at home and turns out very delicious.
This hyderabadi egg biryani may be a good addition to your party or weekend menu. Yes, its very easy and even a beginner can make this without difficulty.
Sometimes I also make a simple quick one pot egg biryani for our dinner. I also make this kerala style egg roast biryani if I have some coconut milk.
But this hyderabadi egg dum biryani is something I would choose when I plan for a special meal.
For more egg recipes, you can check out the entire collection of egg recipes here.
For more biryani recipes, you can check this complete collection of 35 biryani recipes.
Hyderabadi egg biryani recipe
Hyderabadi egg dum biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
to cook rice
- 3 green cardamoms or Elaichi
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1½ cups basmati rice or long grain
to make the gravy
- 4 to 5 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp oil (suggested 3 tbsp.)
- 3/4 cup onion thinly sliced , layers separated (1 medium)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- ¼ to ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 1 black cardamom (optional)
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 to 6 cloves
- 1 strand mace
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- salt as needed
- 3/4 cup yogurt plus 1 tbsp / curd
- 1 handful mint leaves / pudina and coriander leaves
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tsp kewra water (optional)
to fry eggs (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red chili powder
- 1 pinch biryani masala
- salt very little
How to make the recipe
- Boil eggs, remove the shells and pierce 3 eggs randomly with fork. Cut 2 other eggs to halves.
- Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 25 minutes. Rinse well.
- Bring 4 to 5 cups of water to a boil and cook rice along with cardamoms and shahi jeera.
- When the rice is cooked al dente, drain it to a colander.
- Heat oil in a hot pan. Add sliced onions and fry until brown. Set these aside to a plate. Also set aside half of the oil.
- Add the rest of the whole spices and saute. When they begin to sizzle, add ginger garlic paste, chili and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add chili powder and garam masala. Saute just for few seconds.
- Add yogurt, salt, mint and coriander leaves.
- Now add 3 eggs, along with 3/4 portion of the fried onions.
- Stir and cook until the mixture thickens. Switch off the stove, set the pan away from the stove.
- Add half of the rice to the pot, layer the eggs along with masala.
- Layer again with rice.
- Now put back the pan on the stove, add oil and fry the halved eggs lightly. Add red chili powder, garam masala and little salt. Flip them towards the yolk and just fry for a minute.
- Add this to the layered rice along with the oil. Sprinkle mint and coriander leaves and the rest of the fried onions. Also pour the saffron soaked milk.
- Cover the pot with a tight lid or a aluminum foil.
- Heat a tawa or cast iron pan, When the tawa turns hot, place the pot on it.
- Dum it for 10 minutes on a low flame. Switch off the stove and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes.
- Serve hyderabadi egg biryani with a onion raita.
How to make hyderabadi egg biryani recipe
1. Hard boil eggs, remove the shells. Pierce with fork randomly or make incisions on 3 eggs. Set them aside.
2. Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain off water. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add few green cardamoms, half tsp. shahi jeera and rice to the boiling water. Cook till al dente.
Fully cooked but grainy and firm. Under cooked rice doesn’t work well for this recipe, since eggs do not release any moisture like meat or veggies, rice doesn’t get cooked further during the dum process. Drain the rice to a colander. Set this aside.
3. You can skip this step if using ready made fried onions. Heat oil in a pan, add thinly sliced onions and fry until golden. Set these aside to a plate. Also set aside half of the oil to a small bowl. Turn off the stove as the pan will be very hot now.
4. Soak a pinch of saffron in 3 tbsp. hot milk. Also set aside kewra water.
5. Turn on the stove. Add whole spices to the pan and allow them to sizzle.
6. Add ginger garlic paste, green chili and fry until the raw smell goes off.
7. Add red chili powder and biryani masala. Give a quick stir.
8. Add yogurt, salt and mint leaves. Stir and cook.
9. Add the eggs and 3/4 portion of the fried onions.
10. Stir and cook on a medium flame till the gravy thickens. The gravy must look thick and uniform of a flowing consistency. Switch off the stove and set the pan away from the burner otherwise the gravy tends to get cooked further and the quantity may reduce.
11. Layer the rice in the handi or pot.
12. Evenly layer the egg mixture over the rice. The quantity is less, but try to spread it well evenly.
13. Layer with rice again.
14. This step is optional. If you like spicy egg biryani with fried eggs, then i suggest this. Put back the same pan on the stove and heat it with the oil we had set aside earlier. Fry the eggs lightly. Add red chili powder, a pinch of salt and biryani masala or garam masala.
15. Flip the eggs. Switch off the stove. Do not over fry.
16. Pour the saffron milk over the rice, add the left over fried onions, few mint and coriander leaves. Transfer the eggs gently to the biryani, also pour the spiced oil from the pan. Pour the oil to the rice and not to the eggs.
17. Cover the pot. You can use a aluminum foil to seal the pot or a moist cloth too works well. Place a lid over it. I just went ahead using a tight and heavy lid. Heat a tawa or a pan, When it turns hot, place this dum pot over the hot tawa and set the flame to very low.
Cook it this way for 10 minutes. Switch off and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes. If you do not own a tawa, you can use any heavy bottom pan or pot. Any stainless steel or cast iron pans too work well. I have used stainless pressure pan. Do not use nonstick tawa as the coating gets damaged.