Egg paratha recipe – easy breakfast, brunch or dinner recipe that is protein rich, healthy and tasty. Egg paratha is a kids’ favorite, so i make it often for their after school snack. To make egg paratha, you can use ready paratha, roti or frozen paratha as well. However I have included the recipe to make basic paratha as well in this post. You can also check this detailed post on making plain paratha.
Egg paratha is made in 2 ways. I have shared both of them – 1 in the recipe card and the other in step by step photos.
The first method is popular in the North Indian states where egg mixture is poured inside the half cooked paratha layers. If you are a new cook then I suggest using the second recipe.
Easy egg paratha recipe – Method 1
Egg paratha recipe | Anda paratha recipe | How to make egg paratha
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup wheat flour or atta
- warm water as needed
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped (skip for kids)
- 1 pinch pepper powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 2 to 3 tbsp capsicum finely chopped or grated carrot
How to make the recipe
Preparation for egg paratha
- Prepare eggs. Chop veggies finely. Break egg to a bowl, add veggies, salt, pepper powder and turmeric. Beat everything well until frothy. Set this aside.
- Knead wheat flour with just enough warm water. Add few drops of oil and knead again to make soft pliable dough. Cover and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on the rolling area and roll the paratha as shown in the pictures below.
- Heat a tawa or griddle until hot enough.
- Place the paratha and cook until it is slightly firm on one side., Flip and cook on the other side as well until slightly firm and the layers get puffed & separated. Paratha has to be half cooked at this stage and not completely done.
How to make egg paratha
- Quickly remove the paratha to a plate. Gently open the top layer on one side keeping the other sides intact. Pour half of the egg mixture and gently spread. Cover back the layer.
- Gently transfer the paratha to the tawa. Drizzle some ghee or oil. Allow to cook on a medium flame.
- When the egg is almost cooked flip the paratha and press it gently.
- Cook on the other side as well until the egg is done completely and the paratha has golden spots.
- Serve egg paratha with chutney or vegetable salad.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
Method 2 – Preparation for egg paratha recipe
1. Add 1/2 cup wheat flour to a bowl.
2. Knead it with enough warm water. Add few drops of oil. Knead it again to a soft dough.
3. Smear a few drops of oil to the dough. Cover and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
4. Flour the rolling area, make 2 equal sized balls of dough. Flatten a ball. Sprinkle flour.
5. Roll it to a round even layer. If you do not want to make layered paratha, just skip the next 3 steps. To make layered paratha, apply some oil over the paratha.
6. Fold it. Smear oil again.
7. Fold it again.
8. Roll it to a triangle.
How to make egg paratha
9. Heat a pan. Place the paratha on it. When you see bubbles over the paratha, flip it.
10. With in few seconds the paratha begins to puff up.
11. Toast on both the sides till brown spots appear. I did not use oil or ghee at this stage since it gets coated with oil at the last step.
12. Transfer the paratha to a plate. Set the pan aside to cool down a bit, a very hot tawa can burn the egg without cooking properly. Prepare the egg mixture. Chop onions, chilies, coriander leaves and add to a bowl. I use capsicum as well. you can also use grated carrots. Break the egg, add salt, pepper and turmeric.
13. Beat the egg mixture until frothy.
14. Add oil to the pan, when it is just hot, pour the egg mixture. Allow it to cook. I cook it on a medium flame till the egg is almost cooked but slightly gooey on top, for the paratha to stick well with the egg. You can use 1 egg for each paratha or 1 egg for 2 parathas.
15. Place the paratha over the egg. Press it gently.
16. Flip it and cook on the other side as well for 1 to 2 minutes to ensure egg is cooked completely on the edges. egg paratha gets coated well with oil now.
Egg paratha doesn’t need any accompaniment. But can be served with any chutney and a vegetable salad.