Mix veg paratha made with whole wheat flour, mixed vegetables, spices & herbs. It is a healthy & Kids’ friendly breakfast recipe. These mix vegetable parathas taste delicious and are super soft. So they keep good for several hours when stored well. They can be eaten on their own or with a chutney or pickle.
I make these very often for my kids’ school box & sometimes for breakfast too. Each time I make with different veggies which lend different flavors to the paratha. These are very easy to make and the best part is the dough doesn’t need any resting time. Once the dough is ready they can be made right away.
This time I have used potato, carrot, peas and cauliflower which were left during the weekend. You can substitute with any veggies of your choice. Sometimes I also add crumbled paneer to make the dough.
Beetroot, broccoli, palak, beans, sweet potato, yam, cabbage & lauki are some of the other veggies which I use. Potato can be substituted with sweet potato or yam. All these 3 veggies make the mix veg paratha soft.
Just note that the taste of the parathas will depend on the veggies used. So do choose only those you like.
1. Steam or boil veggies as desired until soft. I do over a pressure cooker. It just takes around 5 to 7 mins to steam the veggies.
2. Begin to mash them using a masher. They don’t need to cool down, you can do it right away when they are still hot.
3. Make sure there are no bits and chunks of veggies. The veggies must be mashed to very smooth.
4. Add finely chopped leafy greens. I used methi and coriander leaves. Also add ginger garlic paste, garam masala, red chilli powder, salt and ajwain
5. Mix up well, taste it and check if there is enough salt. It must be moderately salty. If needed add more.
6. Add whole wheat flour.
7. Begin to mix without using any water. If it doesn’t come together to form the dough, then sprinkle some water or the vegetable stock and mix to dough.
8. The dough must be soft and non sticky.
9. Divide the dough to 5 to 6 balls.
How to make mix vegetable paratha
10. Sprinkle flour over the rolling board and a ball. Flatten and begin to roll it.
11. Roll to a 6 to 7 inches paratha of even thickness.
12. Heat a griddle or tawa. When hot enough, transfer the paratha to the tawa.
13. Flip it when you see tiny bubbles. Drizzle few drops of ghee or oil. Spread it all over the paratha.
14. Cook on both the sides until well cooked with golden to light brown spots on them. Place a kitchen cloth or tissue in a plate. Stack the vegetable parathas over it to keep them soft. Continue to make the rest of the parathas and fry them.
Serve veg paratha with chutney or pickle.
Veg paratha recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
1 ½ cup mix veggies (can substitute with other veggies)
- ½ cup potatoes or sweet potatoes, cubed
- ½ cup carrots cubed
- ¼ cup cauliflower
- ¼ cup green peas
- ¼ cup methi or palak chopped finely(optional)
- 1 Handful coriander leaves (optional)
- Steam or boil mix vegetables until just cooked.
- When they are still hot, mash them well using a masher until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except atta. Mix well.
- Add the flour and mix. If needed add little water or vegetable stock if any left from boiling the veggies.
- Knead well to make a soft non sticky dough. Divide the dough into 5 to 6 equal sized balls.
How to make mix veg paratha
- Dust the rolling board and a ball with little flour. Flatten and begin to roll evenly to a medium sized paratha of 6 to 7 inches.
- Heat a roti tawa. When it is hot enough transfer the paratha gently to the tawa. After a minute flip it and spread ghee or oil.
- Cook on both the sides until brown to golden spots appear, meaning the paratha is cooked.
- Continue to make and fry all the parathas.
- Stack mix vegetable paratha to keep them soft.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes