Egg roast biryani recipe with video & step by step photos – Egg roast is one of the most basic egg dishes from Kerala cuisine. This egg roast biriyani is one of those unique & delicious biryani varieties we got to enjoy in a Popular Kerala restaurant in India. The biryani gravy is made the same way like the kerala egg roast but with more spices.
Making this biryani is super simple, make the egg roast and layer the precooked rice. There is not much of preparation like making fried onions or soaking saffron in milk etc.
The original egg roast biryani recipe calls for a different kind of fragrant rice known as Jeerakasala or khaima rice which is most commonly used in many parts of Kerala to make biryani. Since I did not have that rice I have made it with basmati rice.
The unique aroma in this egg roast biryani comes from the Jeerakasala rice along with the freshly ground spices. There is no curd used here instead a small amount of coconut milk has been added which provides the moisture for dum process.
Egg roast biryani recipe
Egg roast biryani
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
For biryani rice
- 2 cups jeerakasala rice
- 1 tsp ghee to 1 tbsp or oil
- 1 bay leaf small
- ½ tsp shahi jeera
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi
- Salt as needed
For biryani gravy
- 4 to 5 boiled eggs
- 2 tbsps ghee or oil (ghee preferred)
- 1 star anise or chakri phool / biryani flower
- 1 inch cinnamon stick or dalchini
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 2 cloves
- ½ to ¾ cup onions sliced
- ½ cup tomatoes sliced (deseeded)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- ¾ tsp chilli powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 Handful coriander leaves or pudina / mint chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ghee for layering
For masala powder or use 1 tbsp kerala garam masala
- ¾ tsp saunf or fennel seeds
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- ½ tsp pepper corn
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 strand mace or javitri
- 2 petals star anise or chakri phool
- 1 Pinch nutmeg powder or jaiphal
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
How to make the recipe
Preparing biryani rice
- If using basmati rice, wash it and soak for atleast 30 mins and drain it.
- Bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a rapid boil. Add spices, oil and salt. Cook the rice till al dente and drain it to a colander.
- If using jeerakasala rice, then just wash and drain the water.
- Add ghee to a hot pot and saute the spices for a while. Add drained rice and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add salt and hot water (3½ cups) to the rice and cook until al dente cooked.
Preparing egg biryani gravy
- Powder all the spices to make kerala garam masala. You can skip this step if you have ready kerala garam masala.
- Heat ghee or oil and saute star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Add onions and fry until golden.
- Saute ginger garlic until the raw smell goes away.
- Then add tomatoes and salt.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add red chili powder, garam masala and turmeric.
- Mix and cook just for a minute or 2.
- Add eggs and saute with the masala for 2 mins.
- Pour coconut milk and stir. Check the salt and spice. Adjust if needed. Egg biryani gravy is ready.
- Lower the flame completely. Add coriander leaves and then spread rice.
- Add ghee and coriander or mint leaves over the rice.
- Cover the biryani pot with a tight lid. You can also use foil or moist cloth to trap the dum or steam. You can also use a plate and then place something heavy over it.
- Cook for 10 mins on the lowest, very low flame. If your stove doesn’t have a small burner, then heat up a old pan/ tawa and place the biryani pot over that. Cook for 10 mins.
- Rest for 10 more minutes. Squeeze in some lemon juice before serving.
- Serve egg roast biryani with raita, or onion slices.
Video of egg roast biryani recipe
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make kerala style egg roast biryani
1. Wash rice well a few times. If using jeerakasala, you can just wash and use up the rice right away after draining. Since I used aged basmati rice, I soaked it for about 30 mins.
2. Boil the eggs, remove the shell and make some incisions on them. Set aside.
3. I have used coconut milk in this recipe as it adds taste and flavor to the biryani.
4. If using jeerakasala rice, then heat a pot with ghee. Saute bayleaf, shahi jeera and cardamom. When the spices begin to sizzle, then add drained rice and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Bring 3 ½ cups water to a boil in a separate pot and pour it to the rice and add salt. Cook until all the water has evaporated. Rice should be cooked to al dente. Keep covered until the gravy is ready.
If using basmati rice like me, then bring 6 to 8 cups of water to a boil and add bay leaf, shahi jeera and cardamom along with salt and 1 tsp oil. when the water begins to boil, add drained rice.
5. Cook on a medium heat until it is done al dente. The rice has to be firm and not mushy.
6. Drain it to a colander. If using jeerakasala rice, then we don’t need to drain the rice. Keep this covered to prevent drying out.
7. Heat ghee or oil in a pot and saute a small piece of bay leaf, small cinnamon stick, 2 cloves, 2 cardamoms and 1 star anise.
8. Add sliced onions and chili. Fry until the onions turn golden.
9. Then add ginger garlic paste. Saute until the raw smell disappears.
10. Add tomatoes and salt.
11. Saute until the tomatoes turn mushy. Then add garam masala, red chili powder and turmeric. Mix and saute until the masala smells good.
12. Saute eggs for 2 to 3 mins. If desired you can cover and cook for 2 mins.
13. Add half cup thick coconut milk.
14. Mix everything well. You will have a thick gravy. Lower the flame completely. Add coriander leaves.
15. Quickly layer the rice and sprinkle coriander leaves and ghee.
16. Cover with a heavy lid to trap the steam or dum. Or seal with a foil. If you do not have a heavy lid, you can place a plate over the pot and then a heavy object over it. Cook this way on a very very low heat for 10 mins. You can also place this over a old hot tawa.
17. Open the lid and serve egg roast biryani in layers. Squeeze in some lemon juice just before serving.
Serve egg roast biryani with raita and lemon wedges.