Gajar ka halwa with milkmaid or condensed milk. I have already shared the traditional Recipe of carrot halwa here made without condensed milk. The traditional method takes quite a lot of time and needs patience as it requires constant attention. It cannot be made instantly when running short of time. So I make this gajar ka halwa sometimes.
This turns out to be more delicious due to the addition of condensed milk. It is a good choice to make this gajar ka halwa when you have guests home as it is really quick to make and just takes about 20 mins. It can be made ahead and refrigerated too.
To make this, you can use delhi gajar or the regular carrots. When I made this I used the regular carrots as the delhi gajar is seasonal and is mostly available only during the winters.
Gajar ka halwa recipe with milkmaid
Gajar ka halwa with milkmaid or condensed milk | Carrot halwa recipe
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 500 grams carrot / gajar grated
- ½ tin milkmaid or condensed milk (½ cup + 2 tbsp)
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder or 1 tsp rosewater
- 1½ tsp ghee (optional, to grease the pot)
- 1 Handful nuts and raisins , chopped
How to make the recipe
- Grease the pot with little ghee. This helps to prevent the carrot sticking at the bottom.
- Add grated carrots and condensed milk.
- Begin to saute on a medium heat for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cover and cook until the carrot turns tender.
- Keep stirring occasionally. When the carrots turn tender open the lid and add ghee.
- Cook until all the moisture evaporates. This can be done on a slightly higher flame to quicken the process, but make sure you stir often.
- Add cardamom powder. Stir well.
- Switch off the heat and garnish carrot halwa with sliced nuts.
How to make gajar ka halwa with milkmaid or condensed milk
1. Wash and peel the carrots well. Grate them either using a food processor or hand grater.
2. Add little ghee and heat the pan. This is optional just to prevent the halwa from sticking up to the pan.
3.Add grated carrot and condensed milk. If you have a food processor do use it to grate the carrots.
4. Mix well and continue to cook on a medium heat.
5. Cover and cook until the carrot turns soft and tender.
6. Add cardamom powder.
7. A tsp of ghee surely adds a great aroma and taste. Mix and cook until the milk evaporates completely.
8. Garnish with chopped cashews,pistachios and almonds.
Serve Gajar ka halwa warm or chilled.