Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe. Learn how to make chicken hyderabadi biryani in a dum style. Making a good hyderabadi chicken biryani is very simple and this recipe is perfect for a home preparation. This is easier than any chicken dum biryani since it needs no sauteing of spices or meat. Just marinate the meat with the spices & other ingredients. Layer partially cooked basmati rice over it. Cook on a slow dum process, trapping the steam to retain the aroma.
To get an authentic flavor and taste of Biryani, do use all the mentioned ingredients and if desired can substitute ghee for oil.
This is one of the best hyderabadi biryani recipe I have made for years and has been a favorite among the readers of this blog. It is very easy and even a beginner can try without any troubles.
This is a kacchi hyderabadi biryani, meaning partially cooked rice is layered over the marinated raw meat. To make the best out of this recipe, chicken needs a proper marination which mainly helps to tenderize it, resulting in juicy, flavorful, soft and tender chicken. It can be marinated the previous night and refrigerated to make the best flavorful biryani.
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
Hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
Easy hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe made with basmati rice & chicken marinated in spices. This hyderabadi biryani recipe will give you the best biriyani that's flavorful & delicious. Serve chicken biryani with raita.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for hyderabadi chicken biryani
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice (aged )
- ½ kg chicken (or 500 to 600 grams or 1 lb bone-in or boneless)
- ¼ to ½ tsp biryani masala powder or garam masala for sprinkling
- 1 large onions or 1/3 cup fried onions store bought
- 4 tbsps coriander leaves (or cilantro ,finely chopped)
- 4 tbsps mint leaves (or pudina, finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp Oil (or ghee)
- 2 tbsps ghee (or clarified butter)
- ¼ tsp saffron strands (or kesar, soaked in 3 tbsps. hot milk)
Marination for hyderabadi biryani recipe
- 1¼ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 2/3 cup yogurt or fresh curd (or 165 ml or ½ cup + 3 tbsp)
- 2 tbsps Lemon juice
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp red chili powder or paprika
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp biryani masala powder or garam masala
- ¼ to ½ tsp green cardamom powder (or elaichi powder)
- ¾ tsp Salt (I used 1 ¼ tsp pink salt)
Dry Spices for rice
- 7 cups water
- 1 to 1 ¼ tsp salt (I used 1 ½ tsp pink salt)
- 1 tsp oil
- 3 inch cinnamon piece (or dalchini)
- 6 cloves (or laung)
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 bay leaf (or tej patta)
- 1 star anise ( biryani flower)
- 2 strands mace (or javitri) (optional)
- 1 black cardamom (optional)
- ½ tsp caraway seeds (or shahi jeera) (optional)
How to make the recipe
fried onions for hyderabadi biryani
Heat 4 tbsps oil in a deep pan. Slice onion thinly, separate the layers and fry them stirring often in hot oil until deep golden to brown. Do not burn else they turn bitter. Remove them from oil & set aside. Pour this oil to the marinade later.
Marination for hyderabadi chicken biryani recipe
- Add yogurt, salt, turmeric, chili powder, biryani or garam masala powder, cardamom powder, green chilli, ginger garlic paste & lemon juice to a mixing bowl. Mix well & taste this. If needed add more salt or spice.
Next add in chicken & marinate for 2 hours to overnight for best results. Overnight marination in fridge yields best soft succulent chicken.
Cooking rice for hyderabadi chicken biryani
Wash rice till the water runs clear. Soak for 30 minutes. Drain & set aside.
Heat 6 to 7 cups water in a pot. Add 1 tsp oil, dry spices & salt. Taste this. The water has to be slightly salty.
Boil water rapidly for 5 mins to release the aroma of spices.
Add rice & cook till it is ¾ or 75% done. The center of the rice must be still slightly uncooked. Do not make the rice mushy. Drain off to a colander.
Preparation for hyderabadi chicken biryani
While the rice cooks, transfer marinated chicken to a heavy bottom casserole or non-stick pan.
Add oil, ½ of the fried onions, mint & coriander leaves. Mix & spread chicken in a single even layer.
Layer the cooked rice evenly, sprinkle fried onions, mint & coriander leaves over the chicken.
Sprinkle ¼ tsp masala powder. Pour the saffron milk all over & then ghee.
How to make hyderabadi chicken biryani
Cover the pot with a foil to trap the steam or dum. Then cover with a tight & heavy lid.
To bake chicken biryani in Oven
Bake for 30 to 40 mins at 200 C in a preheated oven. The timings will slightly vary depending on the depth of the casserole/pot used. Once done, if the chicken is too moist then bake for another 10 mins.
To make on stove
Place this over a thick hot griddle or tawa. Set the flame to medium high such that the flame reaches all over the diameter of the casserole. Cook this way for exactly 20 mins.
Reduce the flame to lowest. Cook for exactly 15 mins. Off the flame. Rest for 20 to 30 mins.
Garnish hyderabadi chicken biryani with fresh chopped coriander leaves & serve with raita.
Video of hyderabadi biryani recipe
Recipe notes for hyderabadi biryani
If you do not like to bite in the spices, then tie up all the dry spices for rice in a muslin cloth. Add this to the rice pot.
Do not use sour curd or flavored yogurt.
To Brown the chicken - The last 5 mins cook the biryani on a medium high flame. This gives browned chicken. To prevent charring you can check the chicken at the bottom before you do this.
If you do not like to use a cloth for trapping the steam or dum, you can use dough to seal the lid of the utensil. But cleaning up the mess is difficult. An aluminium foil too works.
Preparation for hyderabadi biryani recipe
1. To a mixing bowl, add yogurt, salt, red chili powder, biryani masala, turmeric, green chili, ginger garlic paste and cardamom powder. Do not use sour curd.
2. Add lemon juice. If your curd is even slightly sour, them just skip lemon juice.
3. Taste the marinade. Add more salt if needed.
4. Marinate the chicken.
5. Allow it to sit for overnight in the fridge or for at least 2 hours.
6. Keeping overnight makes the chicken very soft once the biriyani is cooked. If you are marinating it just for 2 hours, I suggest keeping the pieces to small to medium and not very large.
7. Soak saffron in 3 tbsps hot milk. Do this just before you soak the rice.
8. Wash rice at least thrice. Do note that biryani turns out good only with aged premium quality basmati rice.
Cookng rice for hyderabadi biryani
9. Soak for 30 to 40 mins. Refer to the rice pack for soaking time.
10. Drain after 30 to 40 mins. Set this aside.
11. Add dry spices to a pot of boiling water along with 1 tsp oil. You can add the dry spices to a muslin cloth and make a knot if you don’t like to get a bite of the spices. Allow the water to simmer for 5 mins. Then bring it to a rapid boil.
12. Add soaked rice.
13. Cook on a medium high till rice is ¾ th cooked.
14. The rice must be grainy and you must get a bite into it meaning it has to be slightly under cooked. If you are a beginner, please take a look at this detailed post on how to cook basmati rice for biryani.
15. Drain the rice to a colander.
16. While the water for rice boils, add the chicken marinade to a heavy bottom pot. I used my 6½ ltrs heavy bottom pressure cooker pan. Sprinkle fried onions, coriander and mint leaves. Add oil and mix it.
17. Level the chicken to spread it in a single uniform layer.
18. Layer the rice over the chicken. The rice must be moist and not with dripping water. It should not be dry either. Add fried onions, mint and coriander leaves. Sprinkle biryani masala.
19. Layer the rice again.
20. Sprinkle fried onions, mint and coriander leaves and biryani masala. Pour the saffron milk.
21. Add ghee.
Dum Cooking hyderabadi chicken biryani
22. Method 1 – You can use either moist cloth or foil to seal the rim of the biryani pot. The cloth has to be thick and moist. Spread it over the rim. Place a heavy lid and bring the edges of the cloth to the center. (refer video for details)
23. Method 2 – Use a foil to seal the rim completely. Or make dough and stick to the rim of the pot. Place a heavy lid.
24. Place a old tawa or griddle on the stove. The flame has to be medium high. Do not use a non stick pan or a dosa tawa. I used my lodge cast iron pan which doesn’t work for making dosa. The flame has to reach across the diameter of the pan.
25. Place the biryani pot on the tawa. Cook on a medium high flame for 15 to 20 mins. Then Lower the flame to very low and cook for another 15 minutes. Switch off the stove and let it rest for sometime.
26. Fluff up the rice gently.
you can find raita recipes here
you can also find easy biryani gravy recipes.
Serve hyderabadi biryani in layers with shorba or raita.
Hope you will like this hyderabadi biryani as much as we do.