Moong dal dosa are instant thin crepes made with skinned yellow lentils or moong dal & spices. These protein packed flavorful moong dal dosa will be an amazing addition to your breakfast menu. They not only taste delicious but are also super easy to make as the batter does not needed to be fermented like the traditional dosa batter.
There are a lot of breakfast recipes from South Indian cuisine where the lentils need to be soaked for few hours, then ground to batter, fermented overnight and then cooked.
Such breakfasts cannot go unplanned and one needs to preplan to make such dishes. Making these moong dal dosas are super easy & can be made bypassing all of these steps.
So this recipe does not require long hours of soaking or fermenting the batter. They are made instantly by resting the dal in warm water for a short while. Then ground to batter and then spreaded to crepes.
To make green gram or whole moong dal, check my post on andhra pesarattu.
1. Rinse and soak moong dal for 15 to 30 minutes in warm water. The water must be warm and not hot.
2. Drain the water and add it to a blender along with ginger, salt, chilies, cumin and water as required. The batter must be smooth and the consistency should be thick and of spreading consistency. It has to be similar to that of dosa batter.
If you want the dosas to be crispy, do not add water to the batter after you finish grinding. Bring it to the right consistency while you grind.
3. This step is optional, you can skip this if you do not want to have onions stuffing.
Heat a pan with a tsp of oil and fry the onions and chilies on a high flame till they turn slightly golden & begin to release a sweet aroma. The onions should remain crunchy. This takes around 2 to 3 mins. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
How to make moong dal dosa
4. Grease the tawa with little oil. Heat it well. You can also rub it with a piece of onion.
5. Then pour the batter with a laddle and spread it to a thin round layer with the base of the laddle. You can use even a stainless steel cup instead of a ladle.
6. Drizzle little ghee around the edges of moong dal dosa and allow it to fry on a medium flame till the dosa is ready to flip to the other side.
7. Flip the dosa to the other side and toast for a min or 2, this step is optional.
8. Top the moong dal dosa with fried onions and green chilies.
9. Allow the dosa to fry on a low to medium flame to get crispy dosas.
10. Reduce the flame to low and repeat the procedure for making more moong dal dosas.
Serve moong dal dosa hot with ginger pickle or coconut chutney.
Tips to make crisp moong dal dosa
- Soaking the dal just for 15 to 30 mins in warm water is the key to make great crispy moong dal dosas. You can also make cone moong dal dosas with this recipe.
- Over soaking may make them softer. Incase you prefer to soak them a longer then you will need to use some rice or rice flour.
- Ginger and green chilies are the flavor enhancers so do not skip them. Ginger also aids in digestion. Since the lentils are not soaked for longer it is highly recommended to use ginger.
- Ghee enhances the flavor and taste of the dosas. If you are a vegan then you can also use oil. Sometimes we use coconut oil.
Recipe of moong dal dosa
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 small carrot shredded (optional)
- 2 onions medium sized , (chopped small)(optional)
- 1 green chilli chopped
- Rinse and soak moong dal for 15 to 30 minutes in warm water. Drain off the water from dal.
- Add dal, salt, ginger, chilies and cumin with little water to a blender jar.
- Blend it till smooth with a consistency similar to dosa batter.
- Do not add more water after the grinding is done. It has to be made to the right consistency while grinding.
- optional – Fry the onions and chilies in 1 tsp oil till lightly golden yet crunchy. Set aside.
How to make moong dal dosa
- Smear oil over a tawa and heat it on a medium flame.
- When it is hot, sprinkle water and evaporate. Rub the pan with a piece of onion all over.
- Pour one ladle of batter and spread the batter to make a thin moong dal dosa.
- Sprinkle little ghee towards the edges.
- Flip and toast the dosa on the other side, flip it back and add onions and chilies.
- Toast on a low heat till it turns crispy.
- Lower the flame and repeat making next moong dal dosa.
- Serve moong dal dosa hot with your favorite chutney.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes