Instant pot rice pudding recipe – Creamy & delicious rice pudding in just 2 steps. Rice pudding is a traditional dessert made by simmering rice in full fat milk & sugar. It is prepared in almost every region across the world with their preferred variety of rice & flavoring ingredients. So the taste of the rice pudding differs from region to region.
Indian kheer, Levantine meghli & Thai coconut rice pudding are some of the traditional puddings. Some recipes use ingredients like egg, flour or even coconut milk for a unique flavor & texture.
The recipe I am sharing here uses no fancy ingredients and is made just with 4 pantry staples – Rice, milk, cinnamon & sweetener. The best part about this instant pot rice pudding is that it is prepared in just 2 steps.
Dump all the ingredients and set it to cook. There is no stirring involved as it is done for the stove top method.
You can also dump them the previous night and set it. Your flavorful delicious rice pudding is ready for your morning breakfast.
I have made this with hand pound rice & dates hence the color. You can use any rice including brown rice and any sweetener of your choice.
As I am trying to limit refined sugar I made it with dates. But the flavor of rice pudding is completely different with dates.
Variations for Instant pot rice pudding
- Any kind of rice can be used. Some popular varieties used across the world to make rice pudding are arborio rice, basmati rice & gobindo bhog rice.
- To make a classic rice pudding replace dates with sugar.
- To make it vegan, replace cow’s milk with coconut milk.
- For other flavor, use any one of these – half tsp of nutmeg powder, half tsp of cardamom powder, half tsp of allspice or 1 tbsp vanilla extract.
Can I make this rice pudding on stove top?
Yes, you can make this rice pudding on stove top using the same recipe. Just keep stirring constantly to prevent the milk from getting scorched at the bottom.
Can I add jaggery to this rice pudding?
Yes you can add jaggery. Once the rice pudding is done, stir in the powdered jaggery or jaggery syrup (not hot) to the rice pudding.
Instant pot rice pudding recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rice (white or brown)
- 4 cups full fat milk (or coconut milk)
- 1 inch cinnamon (replace with ½ tsp cardamoms powder, all spice or 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar or (chopped medjool dates or maple syrup as needed)
- 10 almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes (toasted)(optional)
- 10 to 15 raisins
How to make the recipe
How to make rice pudding
- Wash rice thrice in ample amount of water. Drain the water completely
- Add rice to the inner pot of the instant pot. Also add cinnamon and sugar. Pour milk as well.
- Secure the lid on the instant pot. Position the steam release to sealing.
- Press the porridge button to cook in porridge mode. It is auto set to 20 mins.
- When the instant pot beeps after 20 mins switch off. Wait for the pressure to release naturally for at least 7 to 10 mins.
- The float valve drops once the pressure is released.
- Open the lid and discard the cinnamon. Stir the rice pudding well. Check sweetness and flavoring. Add more and stir if needed.
- Transfer rice pudding to serving bowls. Top with chopped almonds, toasted coconut flakes and raisins.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make instant pot rice pudding
1.Rinse rice 2 to 3 times in lot of water. Drain completely and add it to the inner pot of Instant pot. Add cinnamon as well.
2.Add sugar. I used half cup tightly packed chopped dates.
3. Pour milk.
4. Secure the lid on the instant pot. Set the steam release to sealing.
5. Press porridge button. It is auto set or pre-set to 20 mins. The instant pot will beep after 20 mins. Wait for the pressure to release naturally. It takes about 7 to 10 mins. The float valve will drop when the instant pot has depressurized .
6. Open the lid and give a good stir. Taste and add more sweetener or vanilla if desired.
Remove rice pudding to serving bowls. Top with sliced almonds, coconut flames and raisins.