Mushroom biryani recipe – learn how to make mushroom biryani with step by step photos. Recipe includes instructions for regular pot, traditional cooker & instant pot. Mushroom biryani is a delicious one pot dish made with rice, mushrooms, masala powder & herbs. Traditionally a biryani is made with meat, marinated in yogurt and then layered with parboiled basmati rice & herbs. It is then dum cooked to trap the steam.
Since this is a vegetarian biryani it can be made following this simple one pot method. Mushrooms are called as putta godugulu in telugu, kalaan or kalan in tamil and khumb in hindi. It is not a common veggie in the Indian cuisine.
Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrition, have high anti oxidants, many other nutrients and are said to increase immunity. They can be added to everyday vegetables to prepare curry, stir fry, fried rice, pulao and even in a flavorful biryani.
Though we don’t like mushrooms much, I prepare them sometimes at least to get the health benefits they provide.
This simple mushroom biryani recipe is made with white button mushrooms & fresh ground biryani masala powder.
I have also mentioned how to make instant biryani masala powder that you can prepare in just 2 minutes. If you do not have the whole spices then you can even use a ready made garam masala powder.
This biryani can be served with Raita and some papads on the side. You can also pack this in the office or school lunch box.
Tips to make mushroom biryani
- Rice: I have used basmati rice to make the mushroom biryani. However you can also use any non-sticky short grain rice like seeraga samba rice or keema rice or sona masuri.
- Water: I have used 1 ¾ cups water for every cup of basmati rice. If using any other rice, then adjust the amount of water depending on the rice. For other kinds of rice just use the same amount of water as you would use to make your regular rice.
- Mushrooms: I have used button mushrooms. You can experiment with any other mushrooms of your choice.
- Spices: Feel free to alter the tempering spices and use what ever you have in hand.
- Vegan: To make the recipe vegan just skip curd or yogurt and use coconut milk. You can also substitute water in the recipe with coconut milk and cook the mushroom biryani with coconut milk alone.
- Biryani masala : The key to this flavorful biryani is the biryani masala powder that I shared in this recipe. It elevates the flavors completely. If you do not have the whole spices needed to make the mushroom biryani then just use garam masala.
You can follow this mushroom biryani recipe and make it in a pot, traditional cooker or even in instant pot. I have included the instructions for all.
Biryani is one of our favorite foods at home, so I make it often. You may also like to check these biryani recipes.
I have 2 videos on this recipe. Here is the one for Mushroom biryani in pot.
Simple mushroom biryani recipe
Mushroom biryani (instant pot & stovetop)
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for mushroom biryani
- 2½ cups mushrooms sliced (200 grams or 6 to 8 oz) ( can use more as desired)
- 2 cups basmati rice or any fragrant rice
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- ¼ cup curd or yogurt or coconut milk
- ½ cup tomatoes (or 2 small or 1 large tomatoes) (optional)
- 3 tbsp mint leaves or pudina chopped
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves or cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1 to 1½ tbsp Ginger garlic paste or crushed
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 tbsp Oil or ghee
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 3½ cups water or coconut milk for pot (3¼ cups for cooker, 2½ cups for Instant pot )
Whole spices to temper
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 1 star anise or biryani flower
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or jeera or cumin
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 cinnamon 2 inch piece – dalchini
- 4 cloves or laung
To powder (or 1½ tsp biryani masala or garam masala)
- 1 small strand mace or javitri
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 6 cloves or laung
- 1 pinch nutmeg or jaiphal (optional)
- ½ tsp stone flower or dagad phool / kalpasi (optional)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds or sombu or saunf
How to make the recipe
Preparation for mushroom biryani
- Rinse and soak rice until you prepare the vegetables.
- Skip this step if you have the masala powder. Powder mace, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, stone flower and saunf in a small grinder. Set aside.
How to make mushroom biryani
- Heat a pan or pressure cooker with oil.
- Add the whole spices – bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and shahi jeera.
- When they begin to sizzle, add onions and chilies and fry till golden.
- While the onions fry rinse and slice the mushrooms.
- Add ginger garlic paste to the onions and fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Next add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Saute until they turn soft.
- Add red chili powder, powdered masala, mint and coriander leaves and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour yogurt or coconut milk and mix well.
- Transfer mushrooms, fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the water from the rice completely and add the rice here. Add salt.
- Pour 3½ cups water if making in pot. If making in a pressure cooker use only 3¼ cups water or coconut milk.
- Mix well and taste the water. Add more salt if needed.
- Cook covered on a medium heat till the rice is fully done. If making in pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle on a medium flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve mushroom biryani with a raita.
Mushroom biryani in Instant pot
- Press the saute button on the IP and pour ghee or oil.
- When it displays hot add all the whole spices – bay leaf, cloves, cardamoms, cinnamon & shahi jeera.
- When they begin to sizzle, add the onions & green chilies. Fry until the raw smell disappears for 2 to 3 mins.
- Then add the ginger garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes break down & turn mushy.
- Next add the chilli powder, turmeric and masala powder. Saute just for 30 seconds.
- Then pour the yogurt or coconut milk and mix well scraping any ingredients stuck at the bottom.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, mint and coriander leaves. Fry for just 2 to 3 mins.
- Then add the drained rice and pour water. Press CANCEL button.
- Mix well and check the salt. If needed add more.
- Secure the Instant pot with the lid and set the steam release handle to sealing.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button (high pressure) and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- When it is done, IP will beep. Wait for 2 to 3 mins and release the pressure manually by moving the steam valve from sealing to venting. For softer rice you can wait upto 6 mins.
- Remove the Inner pot of the IP and fluff up with a fork gently.
- Serve mushroom biryani with raita or plain yogurt.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make mushroom biryani
1. I prefer to make and use fresh spice powder. If you have ready made garam masala or biryani masala you can also use that. But this mushroom biryani gets it real taste and aroma from the masala powder that is used. So make sure you use a good one.
These are the spices I have used.
2. Make a fine powder of the above ingredients. I also sieve the powder. The coarse granules can be addded to your tea.
3. Heat a pot or pan with oil and saute the whole spices for a minute. If you do not have some of them just skip.
4. Add onions and green chilies.
5. Fry until the onions turn golden and add ginger garlic paste.
6. Next saute the ginger garlic for 1 to 2 mins until it turns aromatic. Then add tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
7. Fry everything until soft. Then add red chili powder, mint (pudina), biryani masala (from step 1)
8. Saute for 2 mins and add yogurt or coconut milk. You can skip this.
9. Mix everything well.
Frying mushrooms for biryani
10. While the tomatoes cook, wash and slice the mushrooms. Add them here.
11. Fry the mushrooms in the masala for 2 to 3 mins.
12. Add the drained rice and pour water.
13. Mix well and check salt by tasting the water. If needed add more. I forgot to add mint in the earlier step so I added here.
14. Cover and cook on a medium high heat until the rice if fully done.
15. When the rice is completely done, add some chopped coriander leaves.
16. Mushroom biryani turns fluffy, grainy and fully cooked.
Serve mushroom biryani with raita.