Mushroom biryani recipe – learn how to make mushroom biryani with step by step photos. Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrtion, have high anti oxidants, many other nutrients and are said to increase immunity. They can be added to everyday vegetables to prepare curry, stir fry , fried rice, pulao and even a flavorful biryani. Though we don’t like mushrooms much, I prepare them sometimes at least to get the health benefits they provide.
Mushrooms are called as putta godugulu in telugu, kalaan or kalan in tamil and khumb in hindi. Iam sharing a simple mushroom biryani recipe made with white button mushrooms. I have also mentioned how to make instant biryani masala powder that you can prepare in just 2 minutes. You can even use a ready made garam masala powder.
This biryani can be served with Raita and some papads on the side. You can also pack this in the office or school lunch box.
Biryani is one of our favorite foods at home, so I make it often. You may also like to check these biryani recipes.
Simple mushroom biryani recipe
Mushroom biryani recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for mushroom biryani
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced (use more as desired)
- 2 cups basmati rice or any fragrant rice
- 1 medium onion sliced thinly
- 4 tbsp curd or yogurt or coconut milk (optional)
- ½ cup tomatoes (or 2 small or 1 large tomatoes)
- 3 tbsp mint leaves or pudina chopped
- 3 tbsp coriander leaves chopped (optional)
- 1 to 1½ tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies slit
- 2 tbsp Oil or ghee
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 3½ cups water or coconut milk (more if using normal rice)
Whole spices to temper
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 1 star anise or biryani flower
- ½ tsp shahi jeera or jeera or cumin
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 cinnamon 2 inch piece – dalchini
- 4 cloves or laung
To powder (or 1½ tsp biryani masala or garam masala)
- 1 small strand mace or javitri
- 4 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 6 cloves or laung
- 1 pinch nutmeg or jaiphal (optional)
- ½ tsp stone flower or dagad phool / kalpasi (optional)
- ½ tsp fennel seeds or sombu or saunf
Preparation for mushroom biryani
- Wash and soak rice for at least 30 minutes. Drain the rice to a colander after 30 mins.
- Skip this step if you have ready made garam masala or biryani powder. Powder mace, cardamoms, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, stone flower and saunf in a small grinder. Set aside.
Making mushroom biryani
- Heat a pan or pressure cooker with oil, add the whole spices – bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, star anise and shahi jeera.
- When they begin to sizzle, add onions and chilies and fry till golden.
- While the onions fry wash and chop mushrooms.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell disappears
- Next add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Saute until they turn soft.
- Add red chili powder, powdered masala, mint and coriander leaves and fry for about 1 to 2 minutes
- Pour yogurt and mix well.
- Transfer mushrooms, fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add drained rice and pour water. Mix and taste the water. Add more salt if needed.
- Cook covered on a medium high heat till the rice is fully cooked. If making in pressure cooker, cook for 1 whistle on a high flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve mushroom biryani with a raita.
How to make mushroom biryani
1. I prefer to make and use fresh spice powder. If you have ready made garam masala or biryani masala you can also use that. But this mushroom biryani gets it real taste and aroma from the masala powder that is used. So make sure you use a good one.
2. Make a fine powder of the above ingredients. I also sieve the powder. The coarse granules can be addded to your tea.
3. Heat a pot or pan with oil and saute the spices for a minute.
4. Add onions and green chilies.
5. Fry until golden and add ginger garlic paste.
6. Next saute the ginger garlic for 1 to 2 mins until it turns aromatic. Then add tomatoes, salt and turmeric.
7. Fry everything until soft. Then add red chili powder, mint (pudina), biryani masala (from step 1)
8. Saute for 2 mins and add yogurt or coconut milk. You can skip this.
9. Mix everything well.
Frying mushrooms for biryani
10. While the tomatoes cook, wash and slice the mushrooms. Add them here.
11. Fry the mushrooms in the masala for 2 to 3 mins.
12. Add the drained rice and pour water.
13. Mix well and check salt by tasting the water. If needed add more. I forgot to add mint in the earlier step so I added here.
14. Cover and cook on a medium high heat until the rice if fully done.
15. When the rice is completely done, add some chopped coriander leaves.
16. Mushroom biryani turns fluffy, grainy and fully cooked.
Serve mushroom biryani with raita.