How to cook oatmeal – If you are new to cooking oats then this post may help you. There are different kinds of oatmeal available in the market. So for most beginners it is difficult to choose one & cook perfectly as each has a different cook time & need different amount of liquid.
In this post I am sharing how to cook instant oats, rolled oats (or the old fashioned oats) and steel cut oats. For more details on different kinds of oats you can check this post on oats recipes.
We make oatmeal almost 4 to 5 times a week in my home. Most times it is because I do not have time to cook an elaborate breakfast or feel lazy to cook lunch for myself. This is one of the several ways I make oats, healthy and delicious.
I have used full fat milk here, you can use even low fat milk or any vegan milk. If you are making it for a baby or toddler then use powdered oats and blended dates to sweeten the oatmeal.
This is not much of a recipe yet I shared just to include the timings and variations you can make to this healthy oatmeal. I have also included the timings for stove top and instant pot both.
I have used organic rolled oats here, if you do not find then you can use instant oats. If making for a baby you can check for baby oats or gluten free oats especially if your baby is under 6 months.
You can top your oatmeal with fruits, nuts, chocolate, maple syrup, dates syrup or even with dates & dry fruits. I do not use any sweetener and most times prefer to top with soft dates and sliced nuts. While the oatmeal cooks, you can slice the dates and nuts.
Oatmeal with dried fruits
How to cook oatmeal
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup Oatmeal (instant,, rolled or steel cut)
- ¾ cup milk (dairy or vegan) for instant oats, 1 cup for rolled oats, 1½ cups for steel cut oats
- 6 to 8 dates or 1 banana
- 4 Cashews as desired
- 4 Almonds as desired
How to make the recipe
cooking in pot
- Add oats and milk to a pot and cook until soft. When the milk comes to a boil stir it a few times.
- If needed add more milk to bring it to a consistency. When the oats turns thick turn off the stove.
- Transfer to serving bowl. Add sliced nuts and dates to the hot oatmeal. This helps to soften them.
- Serve oatmeal hot or warm.
Cooking in instant pot
- Pour the milk and oats to the inner pot of the Instant pot. Mix and secure the lid of the IP.
- Press the pressure cook button and set the timer to 1 minute high pressure for rolled oats and 4 mins high pressure for steel cut oats.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 mins. Stir the oatmeal and remove to serving bowls. Top with fruits, nuts, dates, maple syrup or chocolate.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.