Oatmeal Porridge made with rolled oats, mixed vegetables and black pepper. This savory oatmeal porridge makes for a healthy breakfast option. The high fiber in the oatmeal keeps you full for longer and the vegetables also provide you with a little more nutrition. Tweak this recipe easily to suit your diet requirements – vegan, vegetarian or meat based. I have made this to a vegetarian dish you may add some chicken if you want.
Porridge is a semi-solid food made by boiling grains in liquid like milk or water. It can be a sweet or savory dish. This oatmeal porridge can be made to a sweet tasting milk oats porridge or to a savory porridge.
Basically the sweet oats porridge is nothing but oatmeal cooked with milk and then topped with a sweetener like maple syrup, honey or sugar. This sweet oatmeal porridge can be topped or garnished with chopped nuts or with peanut butter or fresh fruits. I have shared it here – Oatmeal with Milk.
In this post I share the savory oatmeal porridge made with mixed vegetables, oatmeal and water. However you may also use vegetable broth or chicken stock. If you love to spice up your oatmeal porridge, simply add a dash of crushed black pepper or red chilli flakes.
This recipe uses vegetables to enhance the nutrition and it tastes so good. This porridge is best for those who like to avoid sugar or milk in porridge.
You can make this oats porridge in a pot, traditional pressure cooker or even in a instant pot. What ever you use this recipe works great.
I use carrots, potatoes & peas to make this porridge. Feel free to use your favorite veggies. But ensure you like the flavor of the veggies you use.
This oats porridge can also be served to babies and toddlers, just puree the porridge when cooled completely. You will get a wonderful texture.
How to Make Oatmeal Porridge (Stepwise Photos)
1. Wash and chop desired veggies.
2. Dry roast oats in the pan or pressure cooker till you get a nice aroma. This step is optional. The porridge turns less sticky when you roast them.
3. Add chopped veggies.
4. Pour water, add salt and pepper and cook till vegetables are soft cooked. If cooking in a pressure cooker, cook for one whistle.
5. Optional step. You can add your favorite spices or herbs for flavoring. To make Indian tadka seasoning, heat butter/ghee in a small pan and add cumin, mustard, hing and curry leaves. when they begin to splutter add this to the porridge. Mix and serve.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup carrot (cubed)
- ½ cup potato (cubed to half inch pieces)
- ½ cup green peas
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper or chili flakes
- ¼ tsp Salt to taste taste
- 1½ cups Water (adjust as per your oats, depends on the brand)
- 1 tsp butter /ghee/oil
How to make Oatmeal Porridge in a pot
- Dry roast oats in a pan just for 2 mins. Then add vegetables and toss. This is done to bring out the aroma of oats and make the porridge less sticky.
- Add salt, pepper, 1½ cups of water and cook on a medium flame , stirring occasionally until the vegetables are fork tender.
- As you cook, if the porridge turns too thick pour more hot water and cook.
- Add red chilli flakes or black pepper. Let oats porridge cool down a bit and then squeeze some lemon juice before serving.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes