Aloo mushroom curry recipe – Potato and mushrooms make a wonderful combo in a curry. This delicious, simple to make curry goes well with rice, roti or paratha. I usually make this curry when I have little mushrooms left in the fridge. The potatoes in this gravy absorb the flavor of mushrooms and taste very good.
Potato being a versatile veggie goes well with mushrooms, peas, potato, capsicum, sweet potatoes and even with spinach or methi leaves.
The day I made this aloo mushroom, I was running out of veggies. So just went ahead making this curry with 2 of them. Otherwise I would add some peas and capsicum.
So feel free to add your favorite veggies. You can also just grill the veggies in a oven. Make the curry base on the stove top and add the grilled mushrooms and veggies to the gravy.
Then simmer for a while for the flavors to be absorbed.
Tips to make potato mushroom
- I have used cashews in this recipe to add some creamy texture to the curry. You can just replace them with blanched almonds. Almond meal or cashew meal can also be used.
- You can completely skip the nuts and just use some coconut milk. If adding thick coconut milk, pour it towards the end and turn off the stove.
- Leafy green like palak or spinach can also be used. Fine chop them and add along with the mushrooms to the gravy.
Aloo mushroom curry recipe
Aloo mushroom curry recipe | Potato mushroom gravy recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 potatoes medium sized , cubed
- 200 grams white button mushrooms
- 2 to 3 tbsps oil
- 1 bay leaves small (optional)
- ½ to 3/4 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 cup onions very finely chopped
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit
- 1 ½ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 to 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Salt as needed
- 8 to 10 cashews
- 3/4 tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Handful coriander leaves , chopped
- water as needed
How to make the recipe
- Add cubed tomatoes to a jar along with cashews. Make a fine puree. Keep this aside.
- Wash and chop onions very finely, slit green chilies.
- Rinse mushrooms and cut them to desired sizes.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a pan and heat it.
- Toss these mushrooms in the oil on a medium flame until they wilt. This takes about 3 to 4 mins.
- Set these mushrooms aside.
- Add another 2 tbsps oil to the same pan.
- Add jeera and bay leaf.
- When the jeera begins to sizzle add chopped onions and green chilies.
- Fry them until golden on a medium heat.
- While the onions fry, wash, peel and cube potatoes to 1 inch sizes.
- When the onions turn golden, add the ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute.
- Then add in tomato puree and cook until the moisture evaporates completely.
- Add red chili powder, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Mix all these and fry for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add the cubed potatoes and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Pour water just enough to make a gravy. Mix well. Cover and cook until the potatoes are done.
- Add mushrooms & kasuri methi (optional). Mix and cook covered until the mushrooms are done to your liking.
- Check the salt and spice, adjust as needed. Cook until the gravy reaches a thick consistency.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves and keep covered until served.
- Serve aloo mushroom curry with rice or roti.