Mushroom soup recipe – Simple, easy, delicious and healthy mushroom soup recipe with step by step photos. I made this few months ago for a weekend brunch along with garlic cheese toast and chilli garlic eggs. I made this from a recipe column of a magazine and it turned out very good. Surprisingly, I have few mushroom recipes in the drafts for a long time, so sharing them.
Mildly flavored with garlic and butter, this mushroom soup tastes very delicious without the use of cream.
You may like these mushroom recipes.
Mushroom soup recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1.5 cups mushrooms sliced
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 onion medium , chopped
- salt as needed
- ½ tsp pepper crushed
- ½ to ¾ cup milk (can use vegan milk)
- 1 ½ tbsp corn starch / corn flour or arrowroot powder
- ¾ cup water for roux (to mix with corn flour)
- 2 ¼ cups water
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pot with butter and saute garlic until aromatic.
- Add onions and saute until they turn pink.
- Add mushrooms and saute well for 5 to 7 mins until aromatic.
- Add water and cook covered on a low heat. While the mushrooms simmer, make the roux by adding flour to a bowl. Mix with water.
- When the mushrooms are soft cooked, add salt and pour the corn flour mixture stirring consistently to prevent lumps.
- When the starch thickens, add the milk and switch off.
- Stir well and add pepper powder.
- Serve warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
How to make mushroom soup – step by step photos
1. Take 1.5 tbsp organic or unbleached corn starch or arrowroot powder in a bowl. I have used 1.5 tbsp arrowroot powder.
2. Add ¾ cup water and make a lump free mixture. Set this aside.
3. Add butter and melt it in a pot. Saute garlic until aromatic.
4. Add onions and saute until they turn pale or pink.
5. Add mushrooms and saute.
6. Saute until 6 to 7 mins.
7. Add water.
8. Lower the flame and cook covered.
9. When the mushrooms are soft cooked add salt.
10. Add slurry little by little stirring well to prevent lumps.
11. Cook until it thickens.
12. Add half to 3/4 cup milk. You can also use vegan milk. I used raw almond milk made from 22 blanched almonds. Switch off.
13. Stir well. Add pepper powder.
Serve hot or warm.