Pepper rice recipe just under 10 mins. This pepper rice is delicious, comforting and flavorful. It is super quick to make if you have some precooked rice ready. My kids love variety rice recipes and they don’t mind eating them daily. But practically it is not possible for all of us at home to eat only variety rice everyday since we have different tastes.
After cooking the plain rice for all of us, I make this pepper rice for the kids with their portion of cooked rice.
About Pepper Rice
The pepper rice recipe shared here is from my mum, the way she would make for us when we were kids. This turns out to be amazingly delicious and is great for fussy kids. If you have difficult meal time with your picky eating kids, do try this I am sure they will love it.
I also make this with egg as it adds some protein to the dish.
This pepper rice will be liked by anyone and is not specific to kids alone. Just increase the amount of pepper or use some green chilies for added heat.
This recipe requires precooking rice and can be made even with any kind of rice like ponni or sona masuri rice.
I also pack this in the kids’ school box along with some sliced carrots and cucumbers.
You can also serve this without any side as well or a curry goes good too. Veg kurma or egg curry pair very well with this.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup rice or appro 1.5 cups cooked rice
- 1½ tablespoon ghee (or butter, use good quality ghee)
- 8 to 10 Cashews
- 10 raisins
- 1 sprig curry leaves fresh
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper crushed, (adjust as needed)
- 1 green chili slit (skip if making for kids)
- 1 teaspoon garlic chopped
- salt as needed
- 1 small onion (optional) or 2 boiled eggs
- Make sure your rice is cooked al dente and is not mushy.
- Slice the onions, slit green chili and chop garlic.
- Crush pepper coarsely.
Make pepper rice
- Heat and pan with ghee and saute garlic for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add onions, green chili and fry until golden to light brown. Brown onions taste best here with a sweet aroma. So if you have time brown them like the biryani onions.
- Add curry leaves and nuts. When the nuts turn golden, add raisins.
- Saute for a minute until you get a nice aroma of raisins and ghee.
- Then add black pepper and saute.
- Add rice and sprinkle salt.
- Mix and fry on a high flame just for 30 secs.
- Serve ghee pepper rice hot with veggie salad.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills. More about me
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes