Sweet vermicelli recipe – Also known as sweet semiya or meethi seviyan is a sweet dish that is a variation of the vermicelli kheer or payasam. This makes a light dessert and can be served with breakfast or a meal. There are a few different ways this sweet is made. I have made it without milk, however you can also use milk if you wish.
I usually make this sweet vermicelli to go as a after meal dessert since it is light. Sometimes I also add a few tbsp of mawa towards the end to enhance the taste.
Meethi seviyan is made with thin whole wheat vermicelli, sugar, ghee and nuts. For your convenience you can also use the thick vermicelli, just use water or milk as mentioned on the pack.
Easy sweet vermicelli recipe
Sweet vermicelli recipe | Sweet semiya | Meethi seviyan
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for sweet vermicelli recipe
- 150 grams vermicelli or seviyan (about 3 cups broken)
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar – Prefer organic
- 3 to 4 tbsp ghee (refer notes)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 1½ cups water (Refer notes)
- 4 tbsp nuts cashews, almonds, pistachios
- 1 tsp rose water or kewra water (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for sweet vermicelli recipe
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pot and fry the vermicelli until golden. Wheat vermicelli are very delicate and break quickly so be gentle while stirring. If using roasted seviyan, then just fry for few seconds.
- In another pot, add sugar and pour water. Bring it to a boil and dissolve the sugar completely.
Making meethi seviyan
- When the sugar syrup comes to a rolling boil, then pour it to the roasted vermicelli.
- Stir gently and allow to cook until the water is absorbed completely.
- Then add cardamom powder and kewra water.
- When the vermicelli is cooked completely it will begin to leave the sides.
- Garnish sweet vermicelli with nuts and serve hot or warm.
How to make sweet vermicelli recipe
1. Pour ghee to a pan and heat it.
2. When it melts, add seviyan. I used 150 grams pack when broken came up to 3 cups.
3. Fry them in ghee until well coated and lightly golden. I used roasted vermicelli so I did not fry for long.
4. Meanwhile add sugar to a pot. I used half cup but you can use up to 3/4 cup. We prefer not too sweet so I used less.
5. Pour water. I also added kewra water to this. You can also use rose water. This is optional.
6. Allow the sugar to dissolve completely and bring it to a boil.
7. Pour to the fried seviyan.
8. Then add cardamom powder.
9. Cook until the water is absorbed fully. The sweet vermicelli should be nonsticky at this stage but moist.
10. Do not cover it. Add some chopped nuts. If you have mawa you can add 4 tbsps of it now. It is optional.
Serve sweet vermicelli warm or hot.