Meethi seviyan is a dessert made with vermicelli, sugar, ghee and nuts. It is a lighter version of the seviyan kheer and is great to serve as an after meal dessert. There are a few different ways meethi seviyan is made. It can be made with or without milk. Seviyan is the hindi & urdu word for vermicelli. It is most commonly used in Asian cuisines to make sweet and savory dishes.
I usually make this sweet vermicelli to go as a after meal dessert since it is light. Sometimes I also add a few tbsp of mawa towards the end to enhance the taste.
Meethi seviyan is made with thin whole wheat vermicelli, sugar, ghee and nuts. For your convenience you can also use the thick vermicelli.
Ensure you use the quantity of milk or water as mentioned on the pack. There are different kinds of seviyan available in the market. Each may require different amount of liquid – water or milk to cook.
Here I have used preroasted vermicelli. If you are using unroasted ones then do fry them in ghee well until they turn deep golden in color. Ensure they are not over roasted as the flavor changes.
1. Pour ghee to a pan and heat it.
2. When it melts, add seviyan. I used 150 grams pack when broken came up to 3 cups.
3. Fry them in ghee until well coated and lightly golden. I used roasted vermicelli so I did not fry for long.
4. Meanwhile add sugar to a pot. I used half cup but you can use up to 3/4 cup. We prefer not too sweet so I used less.
5. Pour water or milk. I also added kewra water to this. You can also use rose water. This is optional.
6. Allow the sugar to dissolve completely and bring it to a boil.
How to make meethi seviyan
7. Pour to the fried seviyan.
8. Then add cardamom powder.
9. Cook until the water is absorbed fully. The sweet seviyan should be non-sticky at this stage but moist.
10. Do not cover it. Add some chopped nuts. If you have mawa you can add 4 tbsps of it now. It is optional.
When it cools down a bit, fluff it up with a fork. Serve sweet vermicelli warm or hot.
Meethi seviyan recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 150 grams vermicelli or seviyan (about 3 cups broken)
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar prefer organic
- 3 to 4 tbsp ghee (refer notes)
- ½ tsp cardamom powder or elaichi powder
- 1½ cups milk or water (Refer notes)
- 4 tbsp nuts cashews, almonds, pistachios
- 1 tsp rose water or kewra water (optional)
- 3 tbsps mawa /khoya optional
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom pot and fry the vermicelli until golden.
- Wheat vermicelli are very delicate and break quickly so be gentle while stirring. If using roasted seviyan, then just fry for few seconds.
- In another pot, add sugar and pour water or milk. Bring it to a boil and dissolve the sugar completely.
Making meethi seviyan
- When the sugar syrup comes to a rolling boil, then pour it to the roasted vermicelli.
- Stir gently and allow to cook until the water/ milk has absorbed completely.
- Then add cardamom powder and kewra water.
- When the seviyan is cooked completely it will begin to leave the sides. If you have mawa add it at this stage.
- Turn off and let it cool a bit. Do not cover. When the temperature comes down, fluff it up with a fork.
- Garnish meethi seviyan with nuts and serve hot or warm.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes