Tomato cheese sandwich recipe – Quick and simple sandwich recipe made with pan roasted tomatoes and cheese. This is almost the same as the simple cheese sandwich but with an addition of tomatoes and onions that are roasted on a tawa. The roasting of tomatoes and onions lend a unique flavor to the sandwich.
Tomatoes and onions can be roasted in a oven, grill pan or over direct fire. To make it quickly I have done it on a tawa/ griddle. If you are making for more than 2 to 3 people it is good to make it in a oven. To spice up the sandwich you can use any hot sauces, spice powder and herbs of your choice. You can use grated mozarella cheese or cheese slices.
Choose tomatoes that are firm and just ripe. Cut them to thick slices otherwise they will turn mushy while they get roasted.
Tomato cheese sandwich recipe
Tomato cheese sandwich recipe | Roasted tomato grilled cheese sandwich
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 slices bread
- 2 to 3 slices onions (1 medium)
- 2 to 3 slices tomatoes (1 medium)
- 1 cheese slice or grated cheese
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- herbs mixed , as needed
- pepper crushed , as desired
- sauce any hot or chutney or chilli powder & chaat masala as desired
- 1 tsp butter
How to make the recipe
- Add butter to a hot pan and grill the onions and tomatoes on high flame just for sometime. Take them off before they loose the crunch and turn soft. Fl[p and grill on both the sides.
- On the same griddle,toast the bread slices on one side.
- Flip and transfer the onions and tomatoes to the bread. Sprinkle the chili powder & chaat masala if using.
- Place the cheese slice and then the herbs,
- If using any sauce or chutney, smear it to the bread and place over the cheese slice.
- Toast on both the sides pressing with a spatula until the cheese begins to melt.
- Serve the tomato cheese sandwich hot.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.
How to make tomato cheese sandwich recipe
1. Wash and slice tomatoes and onions. Heat butter or oil in a pan and roast the tomatoes and onions.
2. Flip and cook them on the other side as well. You can also add in some finely chopped garlic and saute until it smells good.
3. Butter the bread slices and place it on the griddle.
4. Place the tomatoes and onions over the bread. Sprinkle spice powders like chili powder, chaat masala or all spice powder.
5. Place the cheese slices. Add more flavorings as desired. I used oregano, red chili flakes and crushed pepper.
6. Cover with another buttered bread slice. If you have chutney, you can smear it to the bread slice and then cover the cheese.
7. Toast on a low to medium heat on both the sides. You can also press the slices with a wooden spatula.
8. When you see the cheese melting, switch off the stove.
Serve tomato cheese sandwich hot or warm.