Urad bonda recipe – Sharing an easy, quick and delicious snack recipe. These urad dal bonda can also be made for a weekend breakfast or during festivals. Bonda is a round shaped deep fried snack from South Indian Cuisine. Mysore bonda, aloo bonda, egg bonda and veg bonda are some of the varieties. Bondas can be plain or stuffed with potatoes or mix vegetables.
These urad dal bonda taste similar to the medu vada, just that the shape is different here. They turn out crisp from outside and fluffy from inside. This recipe is very easy and can be tried by beginners too.
Since these are quick to make & fry, I usually make these instead of vada during festivals. The batter can be made in the mixer grinder or wet grinder. You can serve these with a Chutney or Tiffin sambar.
How to make urad dal bonda recipe
1. Wash half cup urad dal thoroughly several times. Soak in 3 to 4 cups of water for about 2 hours. If making batter in mixer, soak at least for 3 hours.
2. Add them to a blender jar along with salt and very little water. You may need about 2 to 3 tbsps only.
3. Half way through, scrape off the sides and add 1 tbsp more water.
4. Make a smooth fluffy batter. Totally I used about 4 tbsps of water.
5. Transfer this to a mixing bowl. Add 2 to 3 tbsps rice flour. It also makes the fritters crispy. Add half tbsp crushed pepper, 2 tbsps. chopped coconut, generous pinch of hing, 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (optional), chopped green chilies, few coriander and curry leaves. Mix everything well. Beat for 1 to 2 mins.
6. You must have a thick and fluffy batter.
7. Heat oil in a deep pan. When the oil is hot enough, drop a small portion of this batter to check if the oil is ready. If it rises the oil is ready.
8. Take small portions of this batter, shape them to balls and drop in hot oil. Keep stirring for even frying.
9. When the urad dal bonda are golden fried, transfer to a kitchen tissue. Make bonda in batches until you finish the batter.
Serve urad dal bonda with chutney. Usually it is served with coconut chutney but any hot chutney goes well with this.
Urad dal bonda recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- ½ cup urad dal or minapa pappu (or skinned black gram)
- 2 to 3 tbsps rice flour
- Salt as needed
- 1 pinch hing
- ½ tbsp pepper crushed
- 1 to 2 green chilies chopped
- ¾ tsp ginger finely chopped (optional)
- 4 to 5 curry leaves chopped finely
- coriander leaves Few , chopped finely
- Oil as needed for frying
How to make the recipe
- Wash urad dal until the water runs clear. Soak it enough water for 2 hours. If blending in a mixer then, soak for 3 hours.
- Drain the water and add it to a blender jar along with 2 to 3 tbsps water and salt as needed. Do not add lot of water at one time.
- Blend it to a smooth fluffy batter adding more water as needed. The batter has to be thick like the vada batter.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Beat the batter for 2 to 3 mins.
making urad dal bonda
- Heat oil in a deep pan. When the oil is hot enough, take small portions of this batter and drop in the oil.
- Stir and fry until golden. Transfer them to an absorbent tissue.
- Serve urad dal bonda hot with any chutney.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips.