Bread roll is a good party snack made by stuffing spiced potatoes in bread slices. These are rolled and either fried or baked. This post shares 3 ways of cooking the bread roll – shallow fried, baked & tawa fried. The preparation of stuffing is just very simple and needs only mixing up the ingredients like boiled or steamed veggies, garam masala and other basic ingredients.
The stuffing is almost similar to the aloo paratha except for including peas and carrots in this. Bread rolls are usually deep fried but they are best baked or pan fried. However I have also shared the deep frying method.
Bread roll recipe
Bread roll is a potato stuffed bread snack popular in India. To make these bread roll, boiled potatoes are spiced and rolled up in bread slices. These are usually deep fried but are great even if baked or pan fried. This recipe shares all the 3 ways to fry bread rolls.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1½ cups potatoes cubed or 3 medium potatoes
- ½ cup carrots and peas (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder or green chili chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala (adjust as needed)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ tsp amchur (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste (about ½ tsp)
For bread roll
- 10 slices bread (any)
- Oil as needed (if frying) or butter for brushing
For binding the bread rolls
- ½ cup milk or water
- 2 tbsp flour mixed with half cup water
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bread roll
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them to 2 and add to a pressure cooker or pot. Pour water just enough to cover the potatoes partially.
Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame. Potatoes must be just cooked and not mushy. If using carrots and peas, you can just cook them in the same pot after removing potatoes.
You can also steam the potatoes in a rice cooker until they are cooked al dente. Move the potatoes to a side, add carrots and peas to the steamer. Steam until the carrots are tender.
Mash potatoes or crumble them. Add carrots and peas, slightly mash them.
Add chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, coriander leaves and amchur or lemon juice. Mix everything well and check the salt.
- Divide the mixture to 10 equal balls and make an oblong or oval shaped balls. Set these aside.
Making bread roll
Trim the edges of the bread. Begin to roll them with a rolling stick to flatten them like puri. Flatten to a thin sheet. This prevents the bread from absorbing oil.
Stir 2 tbps flour with half cup water. Set this aside. Smear the milk or water all over the bread slices with your fingers or brush so that it turns moist and wet. But not with excess dripping water.
Smear the flour mix on the edges. Place one ball towards one end and begin to roll.
Stick the edges together and seal the inner filling. If needed apply more flour mixture on the edges.
Transfer them to a plate and keep them covered to prevent drying. If the rolls dry up then the edges will open up.
Baking them in oven
For baking – preheat the oven to 200 C. Brush the rolls with some melted butter. Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until golden on both the sides.
For pan frying or tawa frying
Pan frying – Brush the bread rolls with a generous amount of melted butter, ghee or oil. Heat the pan until hot and toast these until golden. These rolls do not get even golden color but will turn crisp.
Frying bread rolls
Heat only a few tbsp oil, just enough to partially cover the rolls while frying.
When the oil turns hot, drop a small piece of bread. It must rise without browning quickly.
Make sure the oil is hot enough. Then drop 2 to 4 rolls at one time depending on the size of the pan used.
Fry until golden. Flip and fry evenly. Remove the bread rolls to kitchen tissues.
- Serve bread roll with sauce or green chutney.
Preparation for bread roll recipe
1. Boil potatoes in whatever way you like. I steam them in a cooker. It takes about 6 to 7 mins, it may vary depending on the kind of potatoes.
2. When they are 3/4 done, then i add carrots and peas to the same steamer. Steam them together until done. You can also skip carrots and peas.
3. Mash the potatoes.
4. Add peas, carrots, chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, amchur, coriander leaves and salt.
5. Mix together and divide the mixture to 10 parts. Give them a oblong shape. Set them aside.
How to make bread roll
6. There are 2 ways of making bread rolls. First one is to dip the bread slice lightly in water and squeeze off the excess water. Place the stuffing and roll it to seal well.
7. I am following the other method of rolling the bread and smearing some moisture to make it wet. Roll each of the slice with a rolling pin. This prevents the bread rolls from absorbing too much oil. The bread slice must become like a thin layer first.
8. For the binding or to seal the edges I have used flour mixed with water. In a small bowl mix flour with water. The mixture must be thin of runny consistency. Brush the bread slice with the milk or water. The bread must turn moist and wet but not with dripping water.
9. Place the potato mixture on the bread. Smear the flour mixture on the edges to seal safely.
10. Roll the bread and press the edges gently to seal the potato stuffing. Use more flour mixture on the edges if needed. Finish making all the bread rolls. Keep them covered.
Method 1 – Baking bread roll
11. If you prefer to bake them, preheat the oven at 200 Degree C.
12. Brush the rolls with melted butter. Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until golden.
Method 2 – Pan frying bread roll
13. For pan frying, toast them after brushing with butter.
Then drop 2 to 3 rolls depending on the pan size. Fry them on a medium high flame.
Method 3 – Shallow frying bread roll
14. If shallow frying, Add oil only a few tbsp or as needed. Allow the oil to turn hot enough. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread. The bread has to rise without browning quickly. Flip them and fry on all the sides until golden.
15. Drain bread rolls on a kitchen tissue.
Best served with green chutney and a cup of black tea.