Bread roll recipe – a good party snack recipe that’s quite easy to make. To make stuffed bread rolls, spiced mix vegetables are stuffed inside the bread, rolled and shallow fried, baked or tawa fried. The preparation of stuffing is just very simple and needs only mixing up the ingredients like boiled or steamed veggies, garam masala and other basic ingredients.
The stuffing is almost similar to the aloo paratha except for including peas and carrots in this. Bread rolls are usually deep fried but they are best baked or pan fried. However I have also shared the deep frying method.
Stuffed bread roll recipe
Bread roll recipe | How to make stuffed bread rolls | Snacks recipes
Bread roll recipe - Potato stuffed bread rolls are a good evening snack to enjoy with your cup of tea or coffee. These can be baked, pan fried or shallow fried. It can be served with a chuntey or any sauce.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 1½ cups potatoes cubed or 3 medium potatoes
- ½ cup carrots and peas (optional)
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder or green chili chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala (adjust as needed)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric or haldi
- ¼ tsp amchur (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- Salt to taste (about ½ tsp)
For bread rolls
- 10 slices bread (any)
- Oil as needed (if frying) or butter for brushing
For binding the bread rolls
- 4 to 5 tbsp milk or water mixed with 2 tbsps any flour
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bread roll recipe
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them to 2 and add to a pressure cooker or pot. Pour water just enough to cover the potatoes partially.
Pressure cook for 1 to 2 whistles on a medium flame. Potatoes must be just cooked and not mushy. If using carrots and peas, you can just cook them in the same pot after removing potatoes.
You can also steam the potatoes in a rice cooker until they are cooked al dente. Move the potatoes to a side, add carrots and peas to the steamer. Steam until the carrots are tender.
Mash potatoes or crumble them. Add carrots and peas, slightly mash them.
Add chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, salt, coriander leaves and amchur or lemon juice
- Mix everything well and check the salt.
- Divide the mixture to 10 equal balls and make an oblong or oval shaped balls. Set these aside.
- Trim the edges of the bread.
Making bread roll recipe
Begin to roll the bread slices with a rolling stick to flatten them like puri. Flatten to a thin sheet. This prevents the bread from absorbing oil.
optional - Make a slightly thin mixture of the flour using water as needed. The mixture must be thin and watery or runny. Alternately use milk to bind the bread.
Smear the milk or flour mixture all over the bread so that it turns moist and wet. But not with excess dripping water. If baking or pan frying then, use the flour mixture only on the edges to seal. Avoid making the whole bread moist.
- Place one ball towards one end and begin to roll.
Stick the edges together and seal the inner filling. If needed apply more flour mixture on the edges.
Transfer them to a plate and keep them covered to prevent drying. If the rolls dry up then the edges will open up.
Baking them in oven
For baking - preheat the oven to 200 C. Brush the rolls with some melted butter. Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until golden on both the sides.
For pan frying or tawa frying
Pan frying - Brush the bread rolls with a generous amount of melted butter, ghee or oil. Heat the pan until hot and toast these until golden. These rolls do not get even golden color but will turn crisp.
Frying bread rolls
Heat only a few tbsp oil, just enough to partially cover the rolls while frying.
When the oil turns hot, drop a small piece of bread. It must rise without browning quickly.
Make sure the oil is hot enough. Then drop 2 to 4 rolls at one time depending on the size of the pan used.
Fry until golden. Flip and fry evenly. Remove the bread rolls to kitchen tissues.
- Serve bread roll with sauce or green chutney.
Preparation for bread roll recipe
1. Boil potatoes in whatever way you like. I steam them in a cooker. It takes about 6 to 7 mins, it may vary depending on the kind of potatoes.
2. When they are 3/4 done, then i add carrots and peas to the same steamer. Steam them together until done. You can also skip carrots and peas.
3. Mash the potatoes.
4. Add peas, carrots, chilli powder, turmeric, garam masala, amchur, coriander leaves and salt.
5. Mix together and divide the mixture to 10 parts. Give them a oblong shape. Set them aside.
Making bread rolls
6. There are 2 ways of making bread rolls. First one is to dip the bread slice lightly in water and squeeze off the excess water. Place the stuffing and roll it to seal well.
7. I am following the other method of rolling the bread and smearing some moisture to make it wet. Roll each of the slice with a rolling pin. This prevents the bread rolls from absorbing too much oil. The bread slice must become like a thin layer.
8. For the binding you can use milk, water or flour mixed with water. If using flour, in a small bowl mix flour with water. The mixture must be thin of runny consistency. Brush the bread slice with the milk, water or flour mixture. Th bread must turn moist and wet but not with dripping water.
If you are going to bake or pan fry these, then apply the flour mixture only on the edges to seal the bread.
How to make bread roll recipe
9. Place the potato mixture on the bread.
10. Roll the bread and press the edges gently to seal the mixture. Use more flour mixture if needed. Finish making all the rolls. Keep them covered.
11. If you prefer to bake them, preheat the oven at 200 Degree C.
12. Brush the rolls with melted butter. Bake for 10 to 12 mins or until golden.
13. For pan frying, toast them after brushing with butter.
Then drop 2 to 3 rolls depending on the pan size. Fry them on a medium high flame.
12. If shallow frying, Add oil only a few tbsp or as needed. Allow the oil to turn hot enough. Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small piece of bread. The bread has to rise without browning quickly. Flip them and fry on all the sides until golden.
13. Drain bread rolls on a kitchen tissue.
Best served with green chutney and a cup of black tea.