Aloo tikka recipe – Grilled baby potatoes in Indian style. Aloo tikka is commonly found on North Indian restaurants menu as a starter. If you have ever been fascinated at the taste and aroma of these tandoori aloo tikka then this recipe may be for you. They taste delicious and mouth melting with all the flavors of spices infused in them. They can be served as a starter, evening snack and even goes well as a party snack.
Traditionally tandoori foods were grilled in a tandoor, a clay oven in which the foods were grilled on a charcoal fire. These tandoor ovens impart a unique smoky aroma to the foods grilled in it. In restaurants these tandoori aloo tikka are made in tandoori oven or atleast grilled in a electric oven and then smoked using the dhungar menthod to lend them that unique aroma.
This recipe uses curd, if you do not prefer the aloo and curd combo for kids, then you can try this simple baby potato fry recipe for kids
Find Tandoori aloo tikka recipe below
Aloo tikka recipe | Tandoori aloo tikka | Tandoori potatoes
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 250 grams baby potatoes / aloo
- ¼ cup curd thick or greek yogurt / hung curd
- 1 ¼ tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chilli powder / paprika
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp chat masala or amchur powder / dried mango powder
- ¼ tsp kasuri methi / fenugreek leaves (only a pinch if powdered), crushed
- 1 ½ tbsp besan / chick pea flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt as needed
How to make the recipe
- Wash and peel aloo. Steam or boil them until al dente. Prick them gently with fork.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing all the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the potatoes to the marinade. Mix them. Set aside for 35 to 40 mins.
- Rinse the skewers and preheat the oven to 240 C for 20 mins. You can also grill these on a tawa or grill pan.
Grilling tandoori aloo tikka
- Line the aloo on to skewers. Place them on a baking sheet and grill for 15 mins. Then turn the skewers and grill for another 10 to 15 mins or as needed.
- Once done, brush them with butter.
- Serve tandoori aloo hot or warm with chutney.
How to make tandoori aloo tikka
1. Wash and peel the potatoes. I halved the big ones, to make all of them the same size. Boil or steam them. I steamed them in my pressure cooker until al dente and not mushy. To check if they are cooked, I prick with a fork and check.
2. Add the yogurt to a mixing bowl. I strained the yogurt instantly and used. But this hung curd or greek yogurt works the best.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. I used this homemade garam masala.
4. Add 1 tbsp besan and oil. Check the consistency of the paste. If it is thin, then add the rest of the besan.
5. Taste the marinade to check if there is enough salt and spice. You can add up more of any of the ingredients if needed.
6. Add your boiled potatoes.
7. Marinate and set aside for 30 to 45 minutes in a cool place to prevent sourness. You can also refrigerate them. But refrigeration of potatoes converts the starch to sugars, which is not good for the body in the long run. Rinse your skewers and set aside to dry.
8. Preheat the oven to 240 C for about 20 mins. Line the marinated baby potatoes on to the skewers. Grease your tray and grill them for 15 to 25 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn the skewers around. Grill for another 10 to 15 minutes. The timings may vary slightly depending on the size of your aloo and the consistency of the marinade. I also like to add a few slices of onions to the tray which get charred and impart a good flavor.
9. You can also grill these on a oiled grill pan or just a tawa. But the marinade sticks up a bit and but that adds aroma to the tandoori aloo.
Smear some butter over the hot tandoori aloo tikka.
Serve hot with onion and lemon wedges and green chutney.