Burger recipe – Learn how to make burger at home with easy and simple step by step photos. Definitely a homemade veggie burger is better and much tastier than the ones from the fast food centers. This recipe just takes about 40 mins for making 6 burgers including toasting the bun, making veg patties, then preparing lettuce, onions, tomato and then the sauce or dressing.
Years ago I made up my mind to make homemade burgers for my foodie kids and began to experiment a lot. After a few trials my boys pretty much loved the burgers I made as they turned out much more delicious than what is served in the cafes & fast food places.
How to make?
These veg burgers are really easy to make if you plan ahead. I usually make the dressing one day ahead and refrigerate so that saves some time. I start by steaming the veggies for the burger patties in a steamer or cooker.
While they steam I prepare the lettuce, onions and tomatoes to go with the dressing.
I use a large pan and shallow fry all the 5 to 6 burger patties at one go. This really saves a lot of time rather than frying them in batches. This time I pan fried some and shallow fried some so did them in batches. The easiest of all these is to grill these in an oven in a single batch.
You can use any kind of burger buns you like, I used the fresh baked whole meal sprouted flour buns bought from a near by bakery.
A patty in a veg burger recipe can be made of vegetables, soya (meal maker), beans etc. This recipe uses only veggies to make the patty and no beans or soy is used.
In this veg burger recipe, I have made the patties the same way I made the mixed veg cutlet. However you can also use these soya chunks cutlet or Sweet corn cutlet or healthy hara bhara kabab for patties.
Preparation for burger recipe
1. Steam the veggies without making mushy either in a cooker or a steamer. Method I follow: Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to a boil in a pot or cooker. Add potatoes and beans to the steam basket. Cover and steam until half done.
2. Add carrots, peas and cauliflower if using.
3. Cover and steam until just cooked. Do not make mushy.
4. Cool them, make sure there is no dripping water. Then add to a mixing bowl. Add ginger paste, coriander powder, garam masala or all spice, mint/pudina or coriander leaves, chopped green chilies. If you have young kids, add chilies at the next step. Add garlic if you intend to deep fry the patties.
5. Mash everything together.
Making crispy veg patties for veggie burger
6. Add bread crumbs or powdered poha. If you do not have both use besan or rice flour. Dry roast the flour till a nice aroma comes out. Cool it. Add it here. I usually like to use powdered poha, if you like to use it then you can refer this post on veg cutlet.
7. Mix everything well.
8. Divide to 6 equal parts.
9. Flatten the balls to patties. I sprinkled little flour on the patties.
10. Make a thick batter of the besan and salt using little water. Dip each of the patties in the batter.
11. Place it on the bread crumbs. Make sure the patty is coated well with the crumbs.
12. Finish dipping all the patties in batter and then in bread crumbs. Place them on a plate and set aside. Allow them to rest for about 10 to 15 mins. Meanwhile prepare the sauce / dressing and fresh veggies.
Preparing the sauce or dressing
13. Add eggless mayonnaise or hung curd / greek yogurt to a bowl. I used some fresh made yogurt after straining a bit. Add olive oil, salt, mustard powder, pepper powder and lemon juice. Skip lemon if using sour yogurt. I suggest using yogurt that is not sour. You can refer this post for making hung curd
14. Mix everything well and taste the sauce. Adjust any of the ingredients as needed to suit your taste. Set this aside.
15. Preparing lettuce, onions and tomatoes for veg burger recipe
Lettuce must always be cleaned thoroughly before using it else may end up with stomach infections. Wash it under running water well.
I make a cleaning solution with 1 part of vinegar with 3 parts of water to clean the lettuce. Sprinkle it over the leaves. Leave it for 5 mins. Wash off thoroughly. Drain completely.
Set aside. Slice onions and tomatoes to rings. Separate the layers of onions. Deseed the tomatoes. Set these aside as well.
How to make burger recipe – veg burger
16. These are tawa or pan fried patties using 1.5 tbsp oil for 2 patties.
17. To get uniform crispness and golden color including the sides, shallow frying is suggested. Pan fried patties will not get a golden color on the sides. shallow fried ones are crisp for longer time and are more crisp than the pan fried ones.
18. Flip them and fry until golden.
19. Once you are done with frying the patties, transfer the oil to a cup. Slice the bun to 2 parts and toast in the same pan. Set these aside.
20. Place the patty on the lower half. You can also add some ketch up to hold the patty in place. That is optional.
21. Place the lettuce, then the onion and tomatoes. Then top off with your favorite sauce or dressing. Cover with the other slice.
Veg burger is ready. Best when served immediately. But they keep good & taste good as well for about 2 hours, if you have used curd/ yogurt for making the sauce and not mayo.
Tips to make the best burger
- Veggies: Use your favorite veggies to suit your palate. Veggies like potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, sweet corn, peas, mushrooms, baby spinach & pumpkins go well in a vegetable burger.
- Dressing: For the sauce or dressing, you can use either mayonnaise or hung curd (greek yogurt). We usually avoid mayo and use this hung curd. Do not wonder if your sauce in the burger tastes like yogurt. The ingredients like mustard, olive oil, garlic and chilli is going to balance the flavor of yogurt.
- Binding: Usually boiled veggies have a lot of moisture in them so a dry ingredient like bread crumbs or flour is used to absorb excess moisture & bind the veggies. Most commonly bread crumbs are used but I prefer to use powdered poha or roasted gram flour (besan). If you are not accessible to any of them just use some roasted rice flour.
- Breading: The veg patties are breaded to get a crust on them. If you do not have bread crumbs, then just toast few slices of bread until crisp on a griddle. Cool them, break down to pieces and pulse them in a blender or food processer. Or you can also simply use crushed corn flakes or coarsely pulsed poha or flattened rice.
- Flour: Since this is a vegetarian recipe, I have used gram flour (besan) to make the batter as a replacement to egg. You can easily replace this with any flour of your choice. The idea is just to dip the burger patties in batter and then bread them with the crumbs.
A veg burger patty can be made of veggies, soya meal or beans. In this post I have used only vegetables. However you can also use these hara bhara kababs if you love a lot of greens. If you love soya meal then you can also try these soya cutlet.
How to grill the veg burger patties?
These veggie burger patties can be grilled in a preheated oven at 180 C for 20 mins on each side. Adjust the timing as needed depending on the thickness of the patties.
Firstly prepare a baking tray by lining an aluminum foil over it. Then place a wire rack and grease it. Place the prepared veg patties over it. Flip them after 20 mins and bake until crisp.
You may also want to check this chicken burger / zinger burger recipe on the blog.
Veg burger recipe or veggie burger recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
Ingredients for veg burger recipe
- 250 grams potatoes 2 large or 1.5 cups cubed
- 2 carrots 1 cup cubed
- ½ cup beans finely chopped
- ½ cup peas or matar
- 1 inch ginger or 1 ½ tsp ginger paste or ½ tsp dry ginger powder
- 2 to 3 green chilies deseeded & finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tbsp Coriander leaves or parsley finely chopped
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp Garam masala or taco seasoning as needed
- ½ cup bread crumbs or poha powder or gram flour
- Salt as needed
- 1 ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ½ cup flour – gram flour or rice flour or corn flour for batter
For assembling veg burger
- 6 burger buns (prefer whole meal or grain)
- Lettuce as needed
- 1 to 2 tomatoes ripe firm
- 1 Onion (optional)
sauce or dressing (serves only 2 to 3)
- ¼ cup Mayonnaise or hung curd or greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or any neutral oil
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice (adjust as needed)
- ½ to ¾ tsp mustard powder or 2 to 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp pepper powder
- Salt (skip if using mayo)
- 1 tsp garlic finely minced (optional)
- ½ tsp chili flakes (optional)
Preparation for veggie burger
- Make sauce by mixing mayo/ greek yogurt , olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well. Taste it and add more salt if needed.
- Prepare the veggies for dressing like lettuce, onions and tomatoes.
- The mix vegetables have to be steamed or boiled until just done. You can choose whatever way you like. Here is the way i do –
- Heat a steamer or cooker with some water. Steam potatoes and beans until half cooked. Then add the rest of the veggies and steam until just done.
- Alternately you can also cook the potatoes in a pot with some water, when they are soft add the rest of the veggies and cook until al dente.
- The vegetables should not be mushy. Mash these well when cooled.
- Add chilies, ginger, garam masala or taco seasoning, salt, coriander or parsley. Mix them up well along with bread crumbs or roasted flour.
- The mixture must resemble a non sticky dough. If needed you can add little flour or bread crumbs to reduce the moisture.
Making veg burger patties
- Make 6 equal sized balls and flatten them. Set them aside for a while.
- Make a moderately thick batter with flour using enough water. Dip each of these in the batter and then in the bread crumbs. Rest them for 10 to 15 mins.
- Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying or pan frying. When the oil turns hot gently place the patties in the oil.
- Shallow or pan fry the patties until golden on a medium flame. Then flip to the other side and fry until crisp and golden.
- Fry all the patties in the similar way. Drain on a kitchen tissue.
- Transfer the oil to a bowl. Slice and toast the buns lightly in the same pan.
How to make veg burger
- Slice each bun to 2 parts horizontally. Place the bottom parts on a tray or plate.
- Spread some ketchup or prepared mayo dressing. Place the patties, then the lettuce, onions and tomatoes.
- Add the sauce. Place the other slice of bun. Veg burger is ready.
- Best served immediately. Keeps good for 2 hours if no mayo is used.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes