Curd oats recipe – Oatmeal in seasoned yogurt. A good and healthy recipe for the hot summer days. This curd oats can be prepared under 25 minutes and is best to serve right away after preparing it. If you are into eating oats regularly, this may be for you. But this is not a low fat recipe since a good amount of curd goes into making this.
Any kind of oats just work well in this recipe. But I suggest using rolled oats and avoid instant or quick cook oats as they are more processed and the glycemic index is high. There are 2 ways of making this recipe which I have shared below.
Curd oats recipe – Method 1
1. Add instant or rolled oats to a large bowl and add hot water just enough to moisten them. Set aside to cool completely. Since rolled oats are already steamed during processing, they can also be consumed without cooking. Add yogurt to the cooled oats. Season as mentioned below.
Method 2 – How to make curd oats
1. Add oats to a pot along with water. You can also dry roast the oats first.
2. Cook until done.
3. Cool it completely.
4. Add beaten curd, grated carrots, cucumber, raw onion (optional), chopped coriander leaves and salt. Raw onion is said to bring down the body heat, so you may consider adding it here during summer. Mix them up well.
5. You can skip the tempering, but it adds mild aroma. Heat oil in a pan,Allow mustard and cumin to crackle. Saute until the urad dal turns slightly golden.
6. Add ginger, curry leaves and green chilies. When you begin to smell the ginger food, switch off the stove and add hing.
7. Once cooled pour the tempering to the curd oats. If needed add more curd and adjust salt.
It can be eaten on its own. You can also enjoy this with pickle, papad or podi. You can also garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¾ cup oats
- Water as needed to cook or moisten
- Salt as needed
- 1 to 1 ½ cups curd , thick / yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- ¼ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Pinch hing
- Coriander leaves as needed
- ½ tsp ginger , grated , (optional)
- 2 tbsp carrot , grated
- 2 tbsp cucumber , grated
- 2 to 3 tbsps onions , chopped , (optional)
- 2 to 3 green chilies , slit
- Cook oats with enough water or just add hot water to oats as needed. Cool it completely.
- Add beaten curd, salt and chopped veggies. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and cumin. When they begin to sizzle add urad dal and saute until golden. Add grated ginger, curry leaves, chilies and saute until the aroma of ginger comes out. Switch off and hing. Pour this to the curd oats. You can also top with pomegranate seeds.
- Mix well and serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes