Eggless vanilla cake recipe with video and step by step photos. This eggless vanilla cake is soft, moist and very delicious. It is very simple to bake and just takes about 40 minutes. You can bake this in a oven or in a pressure cooker. After trying a few eggless vanilla cake recipes I felt this one is too good to bake for any occasion. It can be used as a base cake to frost or decorate.
To bake this cake I have used cake flour, if you do not have it you can also use plain flour / maida. In case you want to make your own cake flour, you can follow the method from the step by step instructions.
This recipe makes a 7 or 8 inch cake. I made 2 cakes and frosted with a simple vanilla buttercream frosting. To make 2 layered cake, you can just double the recipe and bake them in 2 pans at one time.
I had baked this a few times earlier and made a whipped cream frosting which turned out delicious. If you do not prefer to frost the cake, then do add 3 to 4 tbsps sugar in the recipe.
If you do not have a oven then you can check this no bake chocolate biscuit cake.
However if you want to bake this cake in a pressure cooker, you can read this post on Cooker cake recipe. You can use the same method the bake the cake in this post.
Eggless vanilla cake recipe
Eggless vanilla cake recipe | How to make vanilla cake without eggs
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
for eggless vanilla cake
- 1 ¼ cup plain flour or maida or all purpose flour or cake flour
- 200 ml condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 tablespoon sugar (skip, for less sweeter cake)
- ½ cup water (or orange juice for orange flavor)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or 1 tbsp orange zest)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (i used apple cider vinegar)
For white chocolate frosting (Frosting 1 – method 1)
- 100 grams white chocolate (or any chocolate)
For the buttercream frosting (Frosting 2 – method2)
- ½ cup unsalted butter (soft but cold)
- 1¾ to 2 cups powdered sugar sifted or icing sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk (use only as needed)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
How to make the recipe
Preparation for eggless vanilla cake
- Grease and line a 7 or 8 inch cake pan. Set aside.
- Preheat a oven at 170 C for at least 15 mins.
- If using a pressure cooker to bake, please check the notes.
- Place a sieve over a mixing bowl.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix them all with a spoon and sieve at least thrice.
- Add sugar and mix it well.
- Pour the condensed milk, water, melted butter, vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Mix them gently just until well combined.
- The cake batter has to be smooth and lump free. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the batter to the greased cake pan.
- Knock it against the kitchen counter a few times.
Baking eggless vanilla cake
- Place it in the oven and bake for 23 to 25 mins. Mine was done at 25 mins. But the timing may vary slightly depending on your oven.
- If baking in a cooker, open the lid of the cooker. Place the cake tray with the help of a Indian tong or pakkad. The cooker must be hot at this time. Cover the lid. Regulate the flame to low heat. Bake for 45 to 55 mins.
- When the cake is done, a skewer or a tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 mins.
- Then invert the cake pan over a wire rack. Cool this completely before frosting or slicing.
Make chocolate frosting method 1 (optional)
- Chop the chocolate and add it to a bowl.
- Melt this in a microwave stirring at 30 mins interval until it melts.
- You can also melt it in a double boiler method by placing it in a bowl of hot water.
- Keep stirring until it melts & turns smooth.
- Pour this over the cooled eggless vanilla cake and spread with a spatula.
Making buttercream frosting method 2 (optional)
- Beat soft butter until smooth for about 3 minutes on a medium speed, using a hand mixer or a stand mixer.
- Sieve the powdered sugar. Add half a cup at one time.
- Continue to mix it on a low speed. Then on a medium speed until well incorporated.
- Then continue to add in more sugar and then mix on low to medium speed.
- Add in vanilla and milk as needed. Mix until it turns smooth & fluffy.
- If the frosting is too thick to spread just add in a tsp of milk and mix on a low speed.
- If frosting is a bit runny, you can try refrigerating it for 1 hour.
- You can also add in more powdered sugar.
- Add a couple of tbsps of frosting to the center of the cake.
- Spread it well with a spatula. If making a layer cake, then place another cake over it.
- Add half of the frosting and begin to spread it from the center and then cover the sides. Refrigerate this for about 45 mins.
- Add the left over frosting retaining about half cup in the bowl.
- Spread this to finish off. Use the left over frosting as needed to smoothen.
- Refrigerate this further for about 20 to 30 mins.
- Smoothen the frosting with a dough cutter or scraper. Use sprinklers as desired.
- Slice the eggless vanilla cake and serve.
Video of eggless vanilla cake recipe
Recipe source: Madhu
Preparation for eggless vanilla cake recipe
1. Grease a 7 or 8 inch pan. Line it with parchment paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 170 C for atleast 15 mins. If using a pressure cooker, then add 1 heaped cup salt to a cooker. Spread it evenly and place a plate. Place a hot pot stand or ring.
Remove the gasket and whistle. Cover it. Heat on a medium high flame for 10 to 12 mins.
3. This cake works well with plain flour/ maida but cake flour makes it little more light. Skip this step if using maida. If you plan to make cake flour at home like I did.
Then fluff up the all purpose flour (maida) in the jar with the help of a fork. Using a spoon fill 1 and a ¼ cup of all purpose flour to measuring cups. Level them.
Remove 2 tbsp flour from 1 cup and ½ tbsp flour from ¼ cup. Add the removed flour back to the jar. Next fluff up the corn flour in the jar and measure 2 & ½ tbsp corn flour and add it to the cups.
Sieve them together at least 3 to 4 times this helps the cake to turn light. Your cake flour is ready.
How to make eggless vanilla cake
4. Add 1 ¼ flour to a sieve.
5. Next add 1 tsp baking powder.
6. Add ½ tsp baking soda.
7. Then add 1/8 tsp salt.
8. Sieve them and repeat it thrice. If you do not plan to frost the cake, then you may need another 3 to 4 tbsps sugar. Mix well.
9. Pour condensed milk. I used about 200 ml. i.e approximately ½ of a 392 ml can.
10. Next pour 1/2 cup water.
11. Pour ¼ cup melted butter. I melted it in a small pan. You can also do it in a microwave.
12. Add in vanilla extract.
13. Pour vinegar. I used organic apple cider vinegar.
14. Mix well until just combined.
15. Make sure there are no lumps. The mixture will begin to react immediately due to vinegar and you will see bubbles. Avoid over mixing it at this stage.
16. Transfer the batter to the cake pan. Knock it gently to the counter a few times.
Baking eggless vanilla cake
17. Bake it for 23 to 25 mins. Mine was done at 25 mins. Do check at 23 mins as the timings slightly differ from oven to oven. If baking in cooker, place the cake tray on the hot pot stand or ring. Cover and bake for 45 to 55 mins on a low flame.
18. When the cake is done, a skewer inserted comes out clean.
19. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 mins. Invert it on a wire rack.
20. Remove the parchment paper and allow to cool completely.
21. I made a simple and quick buttercream frosting. I haven’t shared the pics of the same as the post is already lengthy and may intimidate many. If you are interested please follow the instructions in the recipe card.
I have not included the time taken to make the frosting in the recipe card. You can make a rough estimation of 2 hours for the frosting if you are a beginner.
Soft, moist and delicious eggless vanilla cake is ready.