Chilli fish recipe or fish manchurian recipe with step by step pictures. Indian chinese recipes are very popular in Indian restaurants. Some of the most popular are the Chilli chicken, chinese fried rice, hakka noodles and the manchurian dishes. These dishes taste sweet, sour and slightly hot.
Chilli fish and fish manchurian are same in few restaurants, but in some restaurants fish manchurian is made with fish balls. But the sauce remains the same.
I do not prefer to deep fry salmon anytime since the nutrients would be drained in the oil which I discard. But this is the only kind of fish that we prefer and is most commonly made at home considering the health benefits.
So sometimes I do deep fry and sometimes even bake the fish and then put them in the Manchurian sauce.If you do not want to deep fry the fish, you can bake it following the same recipe and then season it in the Manchurian sauce.
This time I had a cake getting baked in the oven when I intended to prepare this chili fish, so I deep fried. You can choose any fish of your choice, but make sure you use a large fish fillet that has no bones.
Spring onions are very important in any Indo chinese recipes but I did not use them since I had no stock of it at home. So I used a white onion.I have not used ginger garlic paste for the marination, if you like you can use. Bell peppers are optional.
1. Wash and cut the fish to cube sized pieces.
2. Add ginger garlic, soya sauce and pepper powder. Marinate and Set aside for at least 10 mins.
3. Stir to a bowl vinegar, sugar, soya sauce and red chili sauce. Set this aside. Add more or less sauce as needed. To get a nice red color you can also add little red chili paste. I mix little red chili powder with very little water and then use it.
4. Heat oil in a pan for deep or shallow frying or can even bake these.
5. Add corn flour, all-purpose, little salt and mix well. Sprinkle very little water and mix well to coat the fish with flour. Do not make it runny. Refer the pic. Fish must be coated with a thin layer of batter.
6. When the oil is hot, reduce the flame slightly and then fry these pieces to golden. Drain these on kitchen tissue.
7. Once you finish frying, drain off the oil from the pan retaining 2 tbsp. oil in the same pan
How to make chilli fish manchurian
8. Add garlic and fry till you get an aroma. Add capsicum, layered onions (white parts of spring onions) and fry on high for 2 mins. Onions and capsicums must be crunchy (partially cooked) and not soft.
9. Stir the prepared sauce mix from step 3 with a spoon for uniform mixing. Pour this to the pan along with 2 tbsps water. Allow the sauces to bubble.
Add fried fish & stir fry on the highest flame for 2 mins. Garnish with spring onions
Chilli fish manchurian
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- ¼ cup Oil for shallow frying or more deep frying
- 250 gms fish fillet
- 1 ½ tbsps corn starch (corn flour)
- 1 ½ tbsps all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp salt (sauce already has salt, so add less)
- ¾ tsp soya sauce
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper (pepper powder)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (or crushed) (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or crushed) (optional)
for chilli manchurian sauce
- 3 garlic cloves chopped or minced
- 2 stalks spring onions or 1 medium onion sliced
- ¼ cup green bell pepper cubed
- ¼ cup red bell pepper cubed
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 to 2 tbsp red chili sauce (or any hot sauce)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp corn starch (corn flour) (optional)
- Prepare the sauce for seasoning – Add the soya sauce, chilli sauce, sugar and vinegar to a bowl and set aside.
- Rinse the fish and cut to cubes.
- Add ¾ tsp soya sauce, 1 tsp ginger 1 tsp garlic paste, and ¼ tsp black pepper. Mix and set aside for 10 mins.
- Heat a pan with oil for deep or shallow frying or preheat the oven and bake.
- Add 1 ½ tbsps each of corn starch, all-purpose flour, salt to the fish. Sprinkle some water and mix to coat the fish with flour. The batter should not be runny. Fish has to be coated with a thin layer of batter.
- Check if the oil is hot enough by dropping a small amount of batter. It has to rise without turning brown. Gently slide the fish pieces to the hot oil.
- Fry them to golden on a medium flame. Drain these on a absorbent tissue.
- After you finish frying fish, transfer the oil from the pan to a bowl retaining 2 tbsps in the same pan.
Making chilli fish manchurian
- Add garlic and fry till it gets fragrant. Add capsicum, onions and fry on high flame for about 2 mins. Onions and capsicums should be crunchy (not over cooked) and not soft.
- Stir in the sauces we made at step 1 and pour 2 tbsps water. Give a good stir and taste it. Add more sauces or salt if needed.
- When the sauces begin to bubble, add the fried fish & give a stir. Stir fry on the highest flame for 2 mins. To make a gravy version, double the sauces and stir ¾ tsp corn flour with half cup water and pour it to the pan. Boil until thick then add the fried fish.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes