Chilli fish recipe or fish manchurian recipe with step by step pictures. Indian chinese recipes are very popular in Indian restaurants. Some of the most popular are the Chilli chicken, chinese fried rice, hakka noodles and the manchurian dishes. These dishes taste sweet, sour and slightly hot. Chilli fish and fish manchurian are same in few restaurants, but in some restaurants fish manchurian is made with fish balls. But the sauce remains the same.
If you are looking for a salmon fish recipe that does not need sauces, do check the Apollo fish recipe here. If you are interested in a baked salmon recipe, check here.
I do not prefer to deep fry salmon anytime since the nutrients would be drained in the oil which I discard. But this is the only kind of fish that we prefer and is most commonly made at home considering the health benefits. So sometimes I do deep fry and sometimes even bake the fish and then put them in the Manchurian sauce. So if you do not want to deep fry the fish, you can bake it following the same recipe and then season it in the Manchurian sauce. This time I had a cake getting baked in the oven when I intended to prepare this chili fish, so I deep fried. You can choose any fish of your choice, but make sure you use a large fish fillet that has no bones
Spring onions are very important in any Indo chinese recipes but I did not use them since I had no stock of it at home. So I used a white onion.I have not used ginger garlic paste for the marination, if you like you can use. Bell peppers are optional.
Chilli fish recipe or fish manchurian recipe below
Chilli fish recipe | Fish manchurian recipe | Fish recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- Oil for shallow frying or deep frying
- 250 gms fish fillet
- 1 ½ tbsps Corn flour
- 1 ½ tbsps Plain flour
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsps Spring onions Green parts (I used onions since I did not have spring onions in hand, if you use onions separate the layers)
- 2 tbsps spring onion White part
- ¼ cup green bell pepper cubed
- ¼ cup red bell pepper cubed
- ¾ tsp corn flour (optional)
- 1 tsp soya sauce (you can reduce little)
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp red chili sauce
- ½ tsp sugar (optional, you can skip if you do not like sweet taste, but that’s how the Manchurian dishes taste)
- Salt very title
- ¾ tsp Soya sauce
- 1/8 tsp Pepper powder
- 1.5 tsps ginger garlic paste (optional, I did not use)
How to make the recipe
- Wash the fish and cut to cube sized pieces
- Add Soya sauce, ginger garlic paste, and pepper powder. Mix and marinate. Set aside for at least 30 mins.
- Add the sauces to a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil for deep or shallow frying or preheat the oven and bake.
- Add 1 ½ tbsps. each of Corn flour and Plain flour, little salt and stir well. Sprinkle some water and mix to coat the fish with flour. The batter should not be runny. Fish has to be coated with a thin layer of batter
- Fry the fish pieces to golden on a medium flame. Drain these on absorbent tissue.
- After you finish frying fish, drain the oil from the pan retaining 2 tbsps. oil in the same pan
- Add garlic and fry till it gets fragrant. Add capsicum, layered onions (white parts of spring onions) and fry on high flame for about 3 mins. Onions and capsicums should be crunchy (not over cooked) and not soft.
- Stir the sauce mix. When it bubbles, add fish. To make a gravy version, pour the corn flour mixture first. Allow it to thicken on a low flame, it gets done quickly. Then add the fish.
- Switch off the heat and stir well. For dry recipe, fry on high for 2 to 3 minutes
- Garnish with chopped spring onions
The color of your dish can vary depending on your red chili sauce
If you are using salmon to prepare this dish, you need not use egg since this fish remains moist and soft after frying too. But if you are using any other kind, you could use 1 small egg to lock the juices in the fish so that they remain soft, juicy and moist after frying.
step by step – chilli fish recipe manchurian dry and semi-dry recipe
1. Wash and cut the fish to cube sized pieces.
2. Add ginger garlic, soya sauce and pepper powder. Marinate and Set aside for at least 15 mins.
3. Stir to a bowl 1 tsp vinegar, 1 tsp soya sauce and 2 tsp red chili sauce. Set this aside. Add more or less sauce as needed. To get a nice red color you can also add little red chili paste. I mix little red chili powder with very little water and then use it.
4. Heat oil in a pan for deep or shallow frying or can even bake these.
5. Add 1 ½ tbsps. Corn flour and 1 ½ tbsps. Plain flour little salt and mix well. Sprinkle very little water and mix well to coat the fish with flour. Do not make it runny. Refer the pic. Fish must be coated with a thin layer of batter.
6. When the oil is smoky hot, reduce the flame slightly and then fry these pieces to golden. Drain these on kitchen tissue.
7. Once you finish frying, drain off the oil from the pan retaining 2 tbsp. oil in the same pan
8. Add garlic and fry till you get an aroma. Add capsicum, layered onions (white parts of spring onions) and fry on high for 3 mins. Onions and capsicums must be crunchy (partially cooked) and not soft.
9. Stir the prepared sauce mix from step 3 with a spoon for uniform mixing. Pour this to the pan. Allow the sauces to bubble.
Off the heat and add fried fish and mix. Fry on high for 2 minutes constantly tossing. Garnish with spring onions