Apollo fish fry recipe is a closest match to the one that is served in most andhra restaurants I have visited. Similar to the fish manchurian recipe, but we do not need any sauces, artificial colors or ajinomotto, you can still prepare this apollo fish, just like the restaurant style one.
First time I had apollo fish fry in an Andhra restaurant in Bangalore and I totally adored it since then.The specialty of this dish being prepared with large fishes, boneless fillets are chosen and no garam masala and sauce is used for the preparation and yet does taste simply superb with no smell at all.
To make apollo fish fry, you can use any large fillets without bones, like toman or snapper or salmon.But deep frying salmon may not be a good idea,the nutrients would drain off to the oil.
Apollo fish fry recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 500 grams fish fillet boneless, (cut to small pieces or strips)
- Oil for deep frying
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp oil for seasoning
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 ½ tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp garlic chopped
- 2 green chilies
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 lemon medium sized , extract the juice
- 1 egg white
How to make the recipe
- Cut the fish to desired size pieces or to strips and wash and drain.
- Pour the lemon juice and salt over the fish and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Marinate with ingredients mentioned under marination. Set aside for about 30 minutes to 2 hours. If more than 30 mins refrigerate.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Sprinkle corn and plain flours and mix well.
- When the oil is hot enough, reduce the heat to medium, deep fry the pieces until done. Set aside on an absorbent tissue.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in another pan, fry curry leaves till crisp, add ginger garlic and green chilies and fry till you get an aroma.
- Add chopped onions and fry till lightly brown.
- Add the friedfish and saute on high for 3 mins.
- Apollo fish fry is ready.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.