Paneer cheese toast recipe with video – Delicious, spicy and flavorful paneer cheese toast or sandwich made on tawa or pan. This can also be made in a sandwich toaster, microwave or Oven. These are good to serve as a evening snack or in a meal along with some soup and veggie salad. I made this paneer cheese toast sometime ago for the weekend dinner along with this Sweet corn soup.
This recipe doesn’t need any sauce, chutney or ketchup and is just made with all basic ingredients that we usually have at home. If you do not have panir, you can also use feta cheese.
I made these with fresh homemade paneer, however even store bought one works good. If you prefer to make it at home, you can check this post on How to make paneer. I used about 4 cups of milk for this recipe.
To make this paneer toast, I have made spicy bhurji the way we make regular Paneer bhurji, then topped with mozzarella cheese. I have made it on stove top, it can however be made in a oven. It can also be made to a sandwich, just place another slice of bread after topping the bread with cheese. Then grill it in a sandwich toaster or oven.
The spiced bhurji can also be made ahead and stored in refrigerator and used up to make the cheese toast with in 2 days.
Indian paneer cheese toast recipe
Paneer cheese toast recipe | Paneer cheese sandwich recipe video
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ cups Paneer crumbled (Indian cottage cheese)
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 medium onion chopped finely
- 1 green chili chopped ( skip if making for kids)
- 1 tsp ginger paste or ginger garlic paste (or grated)
- 1 medium tomato deseeded and chopped fine
- ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- ½ to ¾ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- Salt as needed
- 1 tbsp Butter for toasting bread (optional)
- 160 to 200 grams mozzarella cheese grated (use as needed)
- Red chili flakes as needed
- 1 Handful coriander leaves chopped
Preparation for paneer cheese toast
- Heat a pan with oil and add cumin.
- When they begin to crackle, add onions and chilies.
- Saute well until the onions turn golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and sprinkle salt, turmeric.
- Cook until the tomatoes turn mushy. You can also cover and cook at this stage to speed up the process.
- Add garam masala and red chili powder. Mix well until well combined.
- Add panir. Mix to spread the masala very well.
- Add coriander leaves and kasuri methi. Saute for a minute and switch off.
- Smear butter to the bread slices on one side and place them on a pan.
- Add very hot paneer bhurji over the bread and then the grated cheese over it.
- Cover with a lid and toast on a low to medium heat until the cheese melts. Keep checking in between to prevent burning.
If making in microwave
- Just microwave it on high heat for 1 minute.
If making in oven
- Put the bread along with cheese topped in a 170 C preheated oven. Grill for 8 to 10 mins or until golden.
- Serve paneer cheese toast immediately.
Making cheese panir sandwich in a toaster
- You can place another bread slice over the cheese and place it in a toaster. Toast until golden.
Video of paneer cheese toast recipe
Preparation to make paneer cheese toast
1. Add jeera to hot oil.
2. Fry the onions until golden.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away.
4. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt.
5. Fry the tomatoes until mushy.
6. Next add in the chilli powder and garam masala.
7. Saute till the raw smell of the chili powder goes away.
8. Add paneer. I made fresh paneer the previous night. Mix up the paneer with the masala.
9. Add kasuri methi and coriander leaves.
How to make paneer cheese toast
10. Regulate the flame to low. Place the bread with butter on the pan. Spread paneer over it.
11. Sprinkle cheese, red chili flakes and any herbs or coriander leaves.
12. Cover with a lid and cook on a low flame until the cheese melts. If you do it on a high flame the bread can burn so keep it at lowest. You can also put this in the oven for 3 to 4 mins.
Serve paneer cheese toast immediately.