Mayo chicken sandwich recipe | Chicken sandwich with mayonnaise
Mayo chicken sandwich recipe – A quick chicken sandwich that can be made under 10 minutes with mixed veggies, spiced chicken chunks and mayo. If you have all the ingredients ready you will take just 10 minutes to saute the chicken and prepare it. The simplest way is to make this on a griddle/ tawa but you can also grill it in a grill pan or a sandwich griller or toaster what ever you have.
If you do not consume raw eggs, then you can use eggless mayonnaise like I have done. There are a few really good organic eggless mayonnaise available, you can even try them.
Most mayo chicken sandwich recipes call for boiled and shredded chicken. You can also use it that way. But We prefer sauteing the chicken first and then spice it up a bit. Then add it to the mayo sauce. It is good to make these when you are left with little chicken after you are done with some other recipe.
For similar chicken recipes, You can may like to check
Tandoori chicken sandwich
For more sandwich recipes , check
Veg sandwich recipe
How to make mayo chicken sandwich
1. Butter your bread and toast them until golden while you chop the onion and garlic. Take onion to a small bowl and squeeze up a bit of lemon juice. This removes the sharp pungent smell & taste of raw onions. You can also add more veggies like chopped bell peppers, cucumbers & tomatoes.
2. Add little oil and saute garlic until aromatic. If you do not prefer to saute, then you can boil it in a pot with little water.
3. Add your chicken and begin to saute. Minced, chopped or small chicken chunks. I used overnight buttermilk brined chicken.
4. Add some salt and continue to saute until completely cooked. It just takes few minutes. You can even cut the chunks further with a wooden spatula to check if they are cooked.
5. Add spice powders. I used a pinch of all spice and little red chilli powder. Stir it and off.
6. While the chicken gets cooked, Add mayo, coarsely crushed pepper, ground mustard if you like.
7. Add onions and coriander leaves or parsley.
8. Mix everything well. You can add a bit more of lemon juice if you like along with little olive oil.
9. Add the sauteed chicken.
10. Mix it.
11. Spread it on a bread slice.
12. Cover with another slice.
Cut and serve mayo chicken sandwich. Consume them within 2 hours of preparing if keeping at room temperature.
Mayo chicken sandwich recipe | Chicken sandwich with mayonnaise recipe
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 2 to 3 slices bread
- ½ to ¾ cup Chicken shredded or minced
- 1 tsp Butter for toasting bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic minced or 2 cloves
- 1 pinch Red chilli powder or paprika a generous pinch
- 1 pinch Any spice powder (all spice or garam masala)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/8 to ¼ tsp mustard powder (optional)
- ¼ tsp pepper coarsely crushed
- Salt as needed
- 2 to 4 tbsp onions or cucumber, chopped
- sprigs cilantro or parsley chopped finely, Few
- Butter the bread slices and toast them on a griddle until golden. Set these aside.
- You can either boil the chicken or saute in oil to give a grilled like flavor and taste.
- To saute , add some oil on the griddle and saute the garlic until it smells good.
- Saute chicken along with salt until done. Sprinkle the spice powders. Toss well. Switch off and cool this.
- Add pepper, mustard powder and mayo to a bowl. Mix everything well.
- Add in chopped onions and herbs. Mix and add in the chicken.
Making chicken sandwich
- Mix and spoon it over the toasted bread. Cover with another slice and press down.
- Halve the chicken sandwich and serve.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes
I’m Swasthi Shreekanth, the recipe developer, food photographer & food writer behind Swasthi’s Recipes. My aim is to help you cook great Indian food with my time-tested recipes. After 2 decades of experience in practical Indian cooking I started this blog to help people cook better & more often at home. Whether you are a novice or an experienced cook I am sure Swasthi’s Recipes will assist you to enhance your cooking skills.
Follow Swasthi’s Recipes
Best homemade chicken sandwich and simple
Superb simple tasty recipe, thank you swasthi for this wonderful recipe
Glad you like it Aiswarya
Can I store the mayonnaise onion mixture in the fridge and mix the chicken when needed?
It is best to add raw onions just before serving
Your recipe is awesome and delicious
Loved this recipe. I added garam. masala to the chicken gave it a nice punch!
Since Lockdown, I hv been regularly making different kind of recipes from your blog. I really want to thank you the way instructions are systematically put into place. I had never made even tea in my entire life but now I can proudly say I have become best cook at my home and my wife and son want me to make food for them. I follow your instructions in details and that never failed me. Keep up the good work..appreciate and thanks
So glad to hear that! Thank you so much!
Hi, absolutely love your blog. Started with rasmalai and now a regular. Have tried the pizza dough and chicken sandwiches
Thank you so much! Glad to know!
I made this twice and my husband loves it! Thank you for sharing this easy and amazing recipe!
Glad to know! You are welcome
Can you make this with soya chunks instead of with chicken? If so, how?
Yes you can use. Cook them for 5 to 7 mins in boiling water. Drain and chop or pulse them in blender. Then follow the recipe as mentioned above
Which part of the chicken is used best for using in a sandwich
Chicken breasts go well in this sandwich
Can we use cream cheese in place of mayo?. If so, any specific instructions for it?
Yes you can use cream cheese or even hung curd (strained yogurt). Don’t need to change any thing in the recipe.
Can you give a Home made mayonnaise recipe.
I do not have the recipe on the blog yet.
Thank you for the amazing recipe Swasthi. But I had to make some changes to the recipe where I had to cut down the amount of mayo used. Because it was reeking of vinegar. It’s a store bought one. Dr. Oetker brand. I regret buying it as it has a very strong pungent taste. Please suggest me some good mayo. I do not mind if it’s eggless or not. Thanks in advance!
You are welcome. Same here I too have a problem with finding good mayo. The organic ones taste more worse as they add more vinegar in it as a preservative. A friend of mine had made some eggless mayo at home and shared a bottle of it with me. I have used the same here. These days I have started to use hung curd or strained yogurt in recipes that call for mayo. For us it is just fine & tastes much better. I strain a large bowl of yogurt at one time and stock in the fridge. We use for rolls, sandwiches, dips and many more. Do try that it is a much better and healthier substitute to Mayo.
Tried the mayo chicken Sandwich the first time tonight and it was delicious!
Thank you. Glad your sandwich turned out good.
Tried the mayo chicken sandwich!! Didn’t have regular mayo, used Korean one (last minute improvisation:)) and it turned out delicious!! Thanks for making my tummy happy !! ??
Welcome Ak Hakhoo
Thanks for the comment. Glad to know it turned out delicious.
Really wonderful recipes.
I am going to try them.
it’s v easy method.
thank you for your lovely
Amazingly easy to do. Absolutely fantastic results
Thanks For trying
I want to know that how to prepare a butter chicken and pepper chicken
You can find all the chicken recipes here
I will really try this awesome recipe thank u swasthi please upload more
Yes will share more
It was awesome
My son has been having it since 3 days
I tried this recipe and my kid loved it. Ur recipes never let me down. Thank you so much..
So happy reading your comment. Thanks for the comment