Peanut capsicum chutney for idli, dosa, pesarattu, pongal, paratha or any south Indian breakfasts. This chutney can be prepared with green or red capsicums or a mix of these both. Capsicums are well known for their high antioxidants. I prefer to use the red capsicum as they are high in vitamin c too. Added to any dish they enhance the color, taste and flavor.
Peanut capsicum chutney can be made in so many ways. Earlier I had shared a green capsicum chutney and a red capsicum chutney. Today’s capsicum chutney is made using peanuts. It tastes great and has a nutty taste.
I have not tempered it, If you wish you can following the recipe.
peanut capsicum chutney recipe below
Peanut capsicum chutney recipe | Red capsicum chutney for idli, dosa
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 red chilies , broken (remove seeds)
- ½ cup peanuts
- 1 cup capsicum , cubed
- ½ tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 inch ginger ,fresh or garlic
- Salt to taste
- lemon juice , Few drops , optional
- 1 tbsp oil
- Oil as needed
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Pinch cumin
- 1 Pinch mustard
- 1 pinch urad dal
- 1 pinch channa dal
- 1 Pinch hing
How to make the recipe
- Heat a pan with oil, fry red chilies until crisp. Add peanuts and fry until they turn golden and roasted. Set these aside as well. Add capsicum, fry capsicums for 3 minutes.
- Once cool, add ginger, cumin and salt to the blender jar along with roasted ingredients grind to a smooth chutney, adding water little by little as needed
- Heat a pan with oil for tempering. Add dals, cumin and mustard. When the dals turn golden, add curry leaves and hing.
- Pour this to the peanut red capsicum chutney. Mix and serve.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
If you are a beginner or new to Indian cooking, I highly suggest you to check the supporting step by step photos for best results. Step by step photos with description available below after the recipe card.