Peanut onion chutney for idli, dosa, uthappam and most South Indian Breakfast dishes. There are a few different ways of making andhra peanut chutney, this is one such variation. Peanut chutney is one of the most made in most andhra homes to accompany breakfasts like idli or dosa.
This peanut chutney uses onions which adds a unique aroma to the chutney. You can also add curry leaves and fried gram to this chutney. We usually do not temper peanut chutney but if you prefer you can.
How to make peanut onion chutney
1. Heat a pan with oil as needed. Saute green chilies first and then onions until the raw smell has gone. This takes about 3 to 4 mins. Set these aside to cool.
2. In the same pan, roast the peanuts on a medium heat until golden. If using curry leaves, fry them first in oil until crisp. Curry leaves add a unique aroma, if you like you can use them.
3. Switch off the stove and add garlic and cumin. Toss well. Cool these as well.
4. Add them all to a blender along with salt. If using fried gram and tamarind paste add them to the blender jar.
5. Blend them all until smooth with just enough water.
Serve with dosa, idli or any other breakfast you like.
Peanut onion chutney recipe below
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 0.5 cup peanuts
- 0.5 cup onions (can use ¼ more)
- 0.5 tsp Cumin
- 2 sprigs curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tbsp fried gram / pottu kadali / putani (optional)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 2 to 3 green chilies or red chilies
- salt as needed
- 1 tbsp oil or as needed
- tamarind paste as needed (optional)
- Saute onions and slit green chilies for 3 mins or until the onions turn slightly pink. Set aside to cool.
- If using curry leaves fry them until crisp.
- Fry the peanuts on a medium heat until golden. Switch off the stove. Add cumin and garlic to the hot pan and saute for 1 to 2 mins. Cool all these as well.
- Blend them together with salt and water as needed. If using fried gram and tamarind paste you can just add it to the jar now.
- Serve with dosa, idli and uthappam.
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes