Peas pulao recipe or matar pulao recipe with video – Basic pulav made with green peas known as matar In hindi. Pulao is a Indian rice pilaf made using very few spices, veggies or meat. It is served with a raita or any veg or non-veg gravy. Usually basmati rice is used to make pulao but any premium quality rice can also be used.
Peas pulao is usually made when we have guests home and plan for a elaborate menu. Since there is no chopping of any veggies other than an onion, it is really quick to make this. You can serve this with a yogurt raita or a nice veg curry like veg kurma, restaurant style paneer butter masala or paneer makhani or non-veg gravy. I made this peas pulao, a simple chicken curry and a carrot raita for our lunch during the last weekend.
I have shared a video on how to make matar pulao in pressure cooker.
Peas pulao recipe
Peas pulao recipe | How to make matar pulao | Green peas pulav
Matar pulao or peas pulao recipe - One pot rice dish made with green peas, basmati rice and spices. Serve it with some plain yogurt or a raita.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
Ingredients for peas pulao
- 1½ cups basmati rice
- 2½ cups water (adjust as needed, refer notes)
- 1 heaped cup green peas or matar
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies slit
- Handful mint leaves or pudina chopped
- 1 large onion or ¾ cup sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp ghee or oil
- 10 Cashews or as needed
- Salt as needed
Spices for peas pulao
- 1 tsp cumin or jeera or shahi jeera
- 1 star anise or chakri phool
- 6 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 2 strands mace or javithri
- small piece nutmeg or jaiphal (optional)
- 6 cloves laung
- little Stone flower (dagad phool)(optional)
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta
- 2 inch cinnamon stick or dalchini (if using true cinnamon use three 2 inch pieces)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for peas pulao recipe
- Wash and soak rice for at least 30 mins. If you are in a hurry you can soak it in hot water for 15 mins and use up. Discard the water and drain to a colander.
- Slice the onions and mint leaves. Slit the green chilies. Make the ginger garlic paste. Set them aside.
How to make peas pulao or matar pulao
Heat ghee or oil in a pot or cooker.
- Saute cashews if using. When they turn golden set them aside.
Then add cumin, cardamoms, mace, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, stone flower, bay leaf and star anise. Saute them for a minute.
- Add onions and fry until golden.
Then add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
Saute pudina or mint for 2 mins.
Next add peas and rice. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
Pour water and add salt. Stir well and check salt. Add more if needed. The water must taste medium salty.
- Cook on a medium heat until the water is almost absorbed. If using pressure cooker, cover the lid and cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
- If cooking in a pot, then cook covered for 5 to 7 mins on a low heat.
- Fluff up with a fork once done. Allow to rest for sometime.
- Garnish peas pulao or matar pulao with nuts. Serve with raita or a gravy.
Video of peas pulao recipe in pressure cooker
Recipe notes for peas pulao
Please adjust the quantity of water according to the rice.
Preparation for peas pulao recipe
1. Wash 1.5 cups rice a few times until the water runs clear. Soak it for at least 30 mins. Drain and set aside. Slice 1 medium onion and slit 2 green chilies. Make a fine paste of ginger garlic.
2. This step is optional, you can also skip it. We usually prefer cashews in peas pulao so used it. Add 2 tbsp oil or ghee to a hot pot or pressure cooker. Fry them until golden. Set these aside to a plate. Ghee lends a special aroma.
3. To the same pot, add spices and saute for a minute or 2.
Spices to use are
1 star anise / chakri phool,
2 strands of mace/ javitri,
4 to 6 green cardamoms / elaichi,
a small piece of nutmeg / jaiphal (optional),
6 cloves / lavang,
1 tsp jeera / cumin,
little Stone flower / dagad phool (optional)
1 bay leaf / tej patta
2 inch cinnamon stick. If using true cinnamon like me, you can use up to 3 – 2 inch pieces.
4. Add sliced onions and slit green chilies.
5. Saute until they turn golden.
6. Lower the flame and add 3/4 tbsp ginger garlic paste.
7. Fry until the raw smell goes off. Add mint leaves here and fry for 2 mins. I forgot at this stage so added later.
8. Add 1 cup green peas.
How to make peas pulao
9. Add drained rice.
10. Saute everything well for 3 to 4 mins. Handle the rice gently otherwise grains will break.
11. Pour 2.5 cups water. If you are using rice from new harvest or sticky rice, you will need to heat water separately in a different pot and pour here.
12. Add salt. Stir and taste the water. It must be medium salty.
13. Add handful of finely chopped mint leaves.
14. Allow to cook on a medium heat until the water is almost absorbed. But it must be still soggy as you see below.
15. Cover the pot at this stage , lower the flame and cook for 7 mins. If using pressure cooker, close the lid and cook for 5 to 6 mins on a low flame. Switch off the stove and allow to rest for a while.
16. Fluff it up with a fork.
Garnish peas pulao or matar pualo with cashews just before serving peas pulao. Enjoy with a raita or gravy.