pumpkin masala recipe (gummadikaya masala koora) – If you are a person who love to spice your sweet flavored vegetables like pumpkin, then you will surely love this pumpkin masala recipe. We at home call it as the gummadikaya masala koora in telugu. This is a simple south Indian pumpkin recipe that uses very little milk to enhance the flavor and taste of pumpkin and you cannot smell the milk in it. I use kitchen king masala which is the best suitable masala powder, you can replace it with garam masala powder
In andhra cuisine, pumpkin is widely used for sambar, curry and pulusu.
Related pumpkin recipe: easy pumpkin curry
pumpkin masala curry recipe (gummadikaya masala koora) below
Ingredients (US cup = 240ml )
- 1.5 cups pumpkin , chopped
- ¾ cup onions , finely chopped
- 50 ml milk
- ¾ tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 green chili slit
- ½ tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder) or tamarind paste as needed
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- 1 tsp garam masala powder or kitchen king masala powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps Oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ¼ tsp cumin
- 1 Pinch mustard (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil, add curry leaves , cumin and mustard. When they begin to crackle add green chili and onions. Sprinkle salt and fry till the onions turn translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes off.
- Add pumpkin pieces, sprinkle some more salt and turmeric. Fry on medium high for 2 to 3 mins
- Pour ½ of the milk, mix, cover and cook on low heat.
- When the milk is fully absorbed by the pumpkin, add the rest of the milk. Mix, cover and cook till the milk is fully absorbed.
- Add chili powder and amchur powder. Mix. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 mins on a very low flame without burning.
- Pour water to cover pumpkin partially, add kasuri methi and masala powder. Cook till pumpkin is done fully and soft. If you are left with more water, you could evaporate it by cooking further on a high flame
- Serve with rice or roti, chapathi
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
© Swasthi’s Recipes