Ragi rava upma – Ragi also known as Nachni is used regularly at home to make so many of our everyday foods. Some of the most common foods made with ragi are porridge, ladoo, sankati, mudde and roti. I never tried ragi rava upma until a reader asked me for the recipe. This makes a very good Breakfast and keeps you full for long hours.
The recipe shared here is from my Mum who prefers to mill the ragi for making rava and then using for this upma. But I have seen it being sold in many places in South India and even in Singapore. To make this upma, I have made my own ragi rava which I will share soon.
For more ragi recipes, you can check this collection of 18 ragi recipes on the blog. Some of the popular recipes are the ragi porridge for babies kids, Ragi malt, Quick Ragi ladoo, Instant Ragi dosa, Karnataka ragi rotti and soft Ragi idli.
Ragi rava upma recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup ragi rava
- 2.5 cups water
- 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil / ghee
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 pinch hing / asafoetida
- 0.5 tsp mustard
- 0.5 tsp cumin / jeera
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 to 3 tbsps peanuts
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 1.5 tsp chana dal
- 1.5 tsp urad dal
- coriander leaves Few, chopped (optional)
How to make the recipe
- Wash and soak ragi rava for about 30 mins. Drain completely and squeeze off the excess water. Set this aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin and mustard.
- Allow to crackle. Then add dals, peanuts and fry until golden.
- Add hing, onions, curry leaves, ginger and green chilies.
- Saute until the onions turn pink.
- Add rava and saute for a while for about 3 to 4 minutes until you begin to smell the rava good.
- While the rava is roasted, Add 2.5 cups water to a pot along with salt. Stir and check the salt to ensure it is slightly salty. Bring this water to a rapid boil.
- Simmer the stove, then slowly pour this hot water to the rava stirring gently. Take care as this splashes over. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until all the water is absorbed.
- Stir in between for even cooking.
- When the water is completely absorbed, switch off the stove and keep covered.
- Sprinkle some lemon juice if you like. Serve ragi upma hot.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.
Here is a pic of how the ragi rava looks after washing, soaking and removing excess water. It turns our grainy and absolutely dry. This is a important step to make good ragi rava upma.
This turns out slightly moist but tastes good.
Serve Ragi rava upma with some papad, pickle or podi.