Ragi idli or nachni idli recipe – Soft, fluffy idlis made of ragi flour also known as red millet or finger millet flour. We consume ragi in various dishes like ladoo, porridge, dosa, payasam, halwa, upma, mudde etc. Ragi idli is not made often at home since we consume a lot of it in ladoos, dosas and porridge. This ragi idli recipe is from a friend of mine who makes very fluffy and soft ragi idli which I got to taste sometime ago.
I do not make ragi idli batter from scratch since we have different tastes and preferences at home. Some at home prefer the regular idli & don’t like to eat ragi idli. So I make the regular idli batter first and then add up ragi flour to a part of it. Since the steaming time is same for both, I steam plain idli and ragi idlis in the same pot at one time.
Easy ragi idli or Nachni idli recipe
Ragi idli recipe | How to make ragi idli recipe | Nachni idli recipe
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
How to make the recipe
Preparation for rag idli
- Warm up ¼ cup water first. Add flour to a bowl and pour water as needed and mix well to make a thick paste.
- Next pour in the fermented idli batter and salt. Please use only well fermented batter. Give a gentle stir until just combined. The batter must be thick.
- Set this aside for 15 to 20 minutes for the flour to absorb water.
- Bring water to a boil for steaming in a idli steamer or cooker.
Making ragi idli
- Meanwhile grease the plates and pour the batter in the moulds.
- When the water begins to boil rapidly, open the lid and place the ragi idli stand in it.
- Cover and steam for exactly 10 mins. You may need to adjust the timing based on your pot.
- Switch off and allow to cool.
- Dip the edge of a spoon in water and remove the idlis using it.
- Serve ragi idli hot with sambar or chutney.
Preparation to make ragi idli recipe
1. Add ragi flour to a bowl.
2. Pour warm water and mix.
3. Make sure there are no lumps.
4. Add idli batter.
5. Give a gentle stir. Do not over mix since the batter is already fermented & has air bubbles. Allow this to rest for 15 to 20 mins.
How to make ragi idli
6. Bring water to a boil in a idli steamer or cooker. Meanwhile grease and pour the batter to idli plates.
7. When the water begins to boil, then place the idli stand in the steamer. Cover and steam for 10 mins.
Allow them to cool down for 5 mins. Remove them with the help of a wet spoon.
These are best served hot with chutney.