capsicum salan recipe for biryani, chapathi or parotta – When I shared the hyderabadi vegetable dum biryani, I wanted to share a side dish gravy recipe that would go well with the hyderabadi biryani. I had already posted many gravy recipes and I did not feel any particular one that could be paired well to make the combo extraordinarily great.
Last weekend, we had an unexpected vegetarian guest home and I had to make a quick lunch for all us. I prepared the vegetable dum biryani in oven (easier way) and to go with this a capsicum salan. It turned out like a side gravy we get in a restaurants with a biryani. But to get the stunning results, we need to powder the spices and make the masala powder that I mentioned below. I have no idea how it would turn out with other garam masala powders. If you already have the biryani masala powder that I shared earlier for biryani recipes, you can use that. It is the same one that i have used.
The ingredients that I used for today’s recipe are different from the hyderabadi mirchi ka salan and tastes different too. Like in the capsicum masala gravy, the bell peppers don’t remain crunchy here, they are simmered to soft cook to bring out the deep flavors.
find capsicum salan recipe below
capsicum salan recipe | simla mirch ka salan for biryani
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¾ cup onions thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes small , chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Melon seeds /magaz (or good quality poppy seeds or cashews)
- ½ tsp kasuri methi
- ¾ tbsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ to ¾ tsp red chili powder
- 1 cup capsicum / bell peppers, heaped
- ½ cup green peas fresh, frozen
- salt as needed
- turmeric powder as needed
to roast and powder (use only ¾ tsp. for the gravy)
- ½ bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 black cardamom small
- ¼ tsp pepper corn
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- ½ tbsp Cloves
- 2 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Shahi jeera
- ½ mace flower
- ¼ tsp nutmeg grated
How to make the recipe
- Dry roast and make a fine powder of all the dry spices mentioned under “to roast and powder”. If using poppy seeds instead of magaz or cashews. Roast them and make a fine paste with very little water.
- Heat a pan with oil, add onions and fry on medium high till golden brown.
- Reduce the heat, add ginger garlic paste and fry till you get an aroma.
- Add tomatoes, sprinkle salt and turmeric, fry on a medium high till the tomatoes turn mushy and brown. Add magaz seeds or cashews now. set this aside to cool.
- Grind the onion tomato mix with little water to a smooth puree.
- Heat the same pan with oil, add a small piece of bay leaf and cumin, let them them crackle.
- Add capsicums and green peas and fry on a high flame for 3 mins. Do not burn.
- Pour this ground mixture, add red chili powder,kasuri methi, ¾ tsp of ground masala powder. Mix well and adjust water if needed. When it comes to a boil, cover and simmer till the capsicums are soft cooked and almost mushy. It takes around 12 to 15 mins for the gravy to become flavorful.
- Switch off and serve capsicum salan with your favorite biryani.
step by step photos on capsicum salan recipe below
1. Add oil to a hot pan and fry onions on a slightly high flame until golden. Reduce the flame and fry ginger garlic paste till the raw smell goes off.
2. Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Stir and fry once more on a slightly high flame.
3. When the onion tomato mixture turns mushy and soft, add magaz seeds or cashews. If using poppy seeds skip magaz. Dry roast poppy seeds in a separate pan, make a fine paste and add it now. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes for the raw smell of the seeds to go away. You can add red chili and masala powders now and saute for 2 minutes, but i added at step 6. Cool this and grind in a mixer to a smooth puree. To speed up the cooling process, add ice cold water to the blender jar and add the onion tomato mixture and grind.
4. Heat the same pan with oil, add cumin and bay leaf.
5. When they begin to sizzle, add capsicum and peas. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium high flame.
6. Pour the blended mixture and masala powder, kasuri methi and red chilli powder. You can also add these spice powders at step 3 along with magaz or cashews. Add more water and cook.
7. Cook covered on a low flame until the capsicums are soft cooked. This brings out the flavors of the capsicum to the gravy.
Garnish with coriander leaves.