Cabbage stir fry – Quick, easy and delicious Chinese style stir fried cabbage recipe. This recipe takes just 10 minutes to prepare apart from some chopping time. It can be served with just anything as a side in a meal. It goes well in sandwiches, wraps or even with roti, chapati or plain rice. I make this sometimes to go with the roti for the lunch box. Simple, full of flavors from olive oil and fresh veggies. Anyone will just love this!
This cabbage stir fry is one of our favorites at home and love to have it in wraps and kathi rolls too. Along with cabbage any other veggies like carrots, broccoli, beans & bell pepers can be used.
If you eat eggs, you can also include the beaten egg to perk up the nutrition. I have not used egg here and just made with cabbage, carrots & bell peppers.
Like most other Indo chinese recipes, this one too is prepared on a high flame which brings out the aroma of oil & garlic. If you have a wide cast Iron pan or wok, do use it. Cast iron pans lend a very good smoky aroma to this cabbage stir fry.
This stir fried cabbage recipe may not work if you increase the quantities unless you use a large wok (pan) & a stove with very large burner.
1. Wash and drain the veggies thoroughly. More details in the recipe card. Julienne or Shred them and set aside. Make sure they are drained well other wise they may turn mushy while frying.
How to make stir fry cabbage recipe
2. Heat olive oil in a pan on a high flame. Fry garlic and green chilies. You can skip chilies if you have young kids at home. But this recipe tastes bland with out enough heat or spice, so add a good amount of crushed pepper corn.
3. Add all the veggies now.
4. Begin to stir fry on the highest flame only for 2 to 3 mins. Keep tossing well to prevent burning.
5. Add crushed pepper.
6. Move the veggies to a side. Then add salt to the center. If adding soya sauce and vinegar add them now. Allow to evaporate. Make sure the veggies are not over cooked. We need to cook only for 1 to 2 mins to keep them crunchy.
Transfer cabbage stir fry to a serving bowl.
Cabbage stir fry recipe
Cabbage stir fry
For best results follow the step-by-step photos above the recipe card
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 3 cups cabbage julienne or shredded
- 1 cup carrots julienne or shredded
- 1 cup bell peppers julienne
- 1 to 2 green chilies slit (skip if making for kids)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 2 tbsps olive oil or sesame oil or any oil
- 1 tsp pepper coarse crushed
- Salt as needed
optional (I don’t use)
- ½ tsp soya sauce (organic or naturally brewed)
- ½ tsp vinegar (like apple cider)
- Cut the cabbage to 4 quarters and keep them in warm water (not hot) for 2 mins.
- Remove them and rinse a few times in a pot filled with cold water.
- Drain them completely. Even little moisture in the cabbage will make it mushy.
- Wash carrots & bell peppers. Drain well and Julienne or shred all of them.
How to make cabbage stir fry
- Heat a pan with oil on a high heat.
- Saute garlic and green chilies until nice aroma comes out.
- Add all the veggies and stir fry for 2 to 3 mins until they are partially cooked yet crunchy. Do not over cook to retain the crunch. Make sure the heat is set to highest possible setting.
- Push the veggies aside. Add salt, pepper, sauce and vinegar to the oil. Toss the veggies in the salt.
- Saute for another 1 mins. Overcooking makes it mushy.
- Transfer cabbage stir fry to a serving bowl.
NUTRITION INFO (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes