Grilled chicken sandwich recipe – Indian style tandoori chicken sandwich that can be made on tawa or pan. One of the recent recipes I tried for a small party at home and the guests loved these grilled chicken sandwiches a lot. The first time I made was by grilling the tandoori chicken in the oven since I had to do in large quantity. Everyone loved these and many asked me for the recipe. So I made these again with small quantity to write down the recipe and thought of sharing it here as well.
Grilled chicken turns out to be very delicious with unique flavors that come from the punjabi garam masala or the tandoori masala used. These are very easy to make and can also include them in a party menu as a starter, get together or even when you have some guests home for a evening chai and snack.
I have made these grilled chicken sandwich on a grill pan but any kind of tawa, pan or cast iron pan works well for this.
How to make grilled chicken sandwich
1. Add thick curd/ hung curd or greek yogurt to a bowl. You can find the link to make hung curd here. Add chilli powder, pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, chat masala (optional), salt and crushed kasuri methi. You can also add 1 tbsp of besan, if you prefer. I did not use it. If your marinade is runny then add besan / chickpea flour.
2. Mix everything well. Taste and check the salt and spice. At this stage you can add more spice powders to suit your taste.
3. Add chicken. You can use fillets, breasts or cubes. Make sure they are not very thick and large. You can also cut them down after grilling. I used chicken that was brined in vinegar for overnight, left it in the fridge.
4. You can marinate and set aside for 30 mins to overnight. Since the chicken was already brined, I rested only for 30 mins.
5. Butter the bread and toast it. You can also do this in a preheated oven. I made this in the grill pan. You can also make this on a griddle or a regular pan.
6. Set aside your bread slices.
7. Oil the hot pan. Place the chicken and grill it on a medium heat.
8. Make sure they are cooked thru well on both the sides.
9. Smear mayonnaise or green chutney or kabab chutney. To make kabab chutney or raita, you will have to visit this link on raita recipes and find the mint raita recipe for kebabs there. Make sure you do not make the chutney runny. You can also use the green chutney or mint chutney used for chats.
10. Place your grilled chicken.
11. Then your favorite veggies.
12. Then some herbs. Add more chutney.
13. Cover with another slice.
Serve tandoori grilled chicken sandwich immediately.
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 2 tbsp hung curd or greek yogurt (do not use sour one)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 pinch turmeric
- Salt as needed
- ¼ tsp Chat masala (optional)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp amchur / dried mango powder (skip if yogurt is sour)
- ½ tsp kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 250 grams chicken boneless (any – cubed, fillets or breasts)
- 4 bread slices
- 1 to 2 tbsps butter
- Kabab chutney or green chutney or mayonnaise as needed (details below)
- 1 onion cut to rings
- 1 tomato cut to rings
- coriander leaves Few fresh
How to make the recipe
- Follow the instructions from the step by step method.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
If you are new to cooking, follow my detailed step by step photo instructions for best results.