Chana dal pulao recipe – Chana dal is one of the most protein rich lentil used in Indian cuisine. It is made by removing the outer skin of the black chana or the kala chana. It is used in various preparations like chana dal masala vada, chana dal fry, chana dal kheer, kootu and even to make besan / gram flour. It can also be used in chutney recipes to add a good texture and even to vegetable stir fry recipes.
This one pot chana dal rice recipe is easy, nutritious and protein filled. It goes well for a quick lunch or in the lunch box. It can be enjoyed without any side. A raita or a veg salad go well. To make this chana dal rice, carrots, beetroot or baby corn go well.
How to make chana dal pulao recipe
1. Wash and soak dal for about 4 to 6 hours. This helps not only to cook well but is also lighter for digestion. Wash and soak rice for about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain off and set aside.
2. Saute cumin, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon and mace until they begin to sizzle.
3. Fry sliced onions until lightly golden.
4. Next fry ginger garlic paste until the raw smell goes off.
5. Saute carrots and pudina /mint leaves for 2 minutes.
6. Transfer rice and chana dal. Mix and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add salt.
8. Pour water.
9. Cook on a medium flame until water is almost evaporated.
10. Cover the pot with a lid and cook until done. If making in pressure cooker, cover the lid and lower the flame. Cook just for 5 minutes. Switch off before the cooker whistles. When the pressure goes off, add coriander leaves and little lemon juice. If using right away i suggest adding little ghee.
Serve with raita or salad.
Chana dal pulao recipe below
Ingredients (1 cup = 240ml )
- 1 cup rice uncooked
- ½ cup chana dal or bengal gram
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 1 large carrot (¾ cup)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 green chili slit (skip for kids or deseedand use)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 handful pudina or mint
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin or jeera
- ½ star anise
- 1 strand mace (optional)
- 2 green cardamoms or elaichi
- 1 inch cinnamon or dalchini
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- salt as needed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- coriander leaves chopped, few
- Wash and soak chana dal for 4 to 6 hours and rice for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry spices until they begin to crackle.
- Add onions and fry until lightly done. Next add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell is gone.
- Transfer veggies and pudina, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add soaked and drained rice and dal. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour water salt and cook until the rice is done. Towards the end, when the water is almost absorbed, cover and simmer on a low flame. If using pressure cooker, cover and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- When the pressure is down, sprinkle lemon juice and coriander leaves.
NUTRITION (estimation only)
Alternative quantities provided in the recipe card are for 1x only, original recipe.
For best results follow my detailed step-by-step photo instructions and tips above the recipe card.
© Swasthi’s Recipes